Clement L. Clapp, proprietor of the Carrollton Patriot, was born in Ohio, in 1852. He removed, with his parents, to Connecticut, where he spent his boyhood. They afterward removed to Iowa, where he graduated from college, in 1871. He then taught school three years; after which he spent two years at Yale college, as a graduate student. He was then engaged for two years as a member of the editorial staff of the New Haven, Conn., Daily Journal and Courier. After coming to this state he was employed one year as tutor in the Illinois College, at Jacksonville, and in 1875, bought the Carrollton Patriot, a history of which is given elsewhere. Mr. Clapp was married, March 23, 1875, to Mima Allen, a native of New Haven, Conn. They are the parents of one child - Allan Charles. They are members of the Presbyterian church, of which Mr. Clapp has officiated as superintendent of the Sunday school for seven years.