John H. Clifford, son of Ahirah and Rosana Clifford, was born in Davie county, N.C., Dec. 16, 1839, and was brought up to a farm life with his parents, until the commencement of the war, when he enlisted as a musician under Capt. W. A. Clement, Co. F, 42d North Carolina regiment, eastern division of the Confederate army, under Gen. Lee. He was wounded in the left arm at Murry Hill, N.C., in February, 1863. He was afterwards on post duty in Salisbury, N.C., until the close of the war. In 1866 Mr. Clifford moved with his family to Cannon county, Tenn., and engaged in the milling business at Woodbury. He married Mary M. Hays, daughter of Sampson Hays, Sept. 12, 1867, remaining in Tennessee until 1872, when the family moved to Caldwell county, Ky., and there engaged in the milling business, near Princeton, where he resided until April, 1880, when he moved to New Providence, Greene county, Ill., where he has ever since been engaged in the milling business. Mr. and Mrs. Clifford are the parents of seven children - Fannie B., married D. E. Gaither, residing in New Providence; Addie, Robert James, Ada, Suda and Lula. Mr. Clifford is a member of the Masonic fraternity, being made a mason in Princeton, Ky., lodge No. 82, and is now a member of White Hall lodge No. 80. Himself and wife and two oldest daughters, are also members of the United Baptist church at New Providence, Greene county, Ill.