LEONARD E. ELDRED was born in Greene county, Ill., Dec. 26, 1827, and is a son of William and Ruth (Brace) Eldred, his father a native of Connecticut, his mother of Herkimer county, N.Y. His father came to Greene county in 1821, and located on section 20, where he entered land, and resided until his death in 1856. Leonard was reared on a farm, remaining with his parents until he was married, when he went to do for himself. He was united in marriage, June 23, 1863, with Sarah J. Gilchrist, daughter of James and Ann B. (Dickey) Gilchrist. By this union they are the parents of two children - William G. and Leonard K. Mr. Eldred now owns 240 acres of land on Secs. 17 and 20 in T. 10, R. 12, he residing on one-half of the homestead, where he has a nice comfortable home and is pleasantly situated. His brother Ethon A. lives on the other half of the homestead. In December, 1872, Mr. Eldred and his wife removed to Fremont county, Colorado, where they remained seven years, spending the winters at Canon City, the county seat of Fremont county, and the summers on his ranch on Wilson creek, among the mountains, where he has a herd of cattle. Mr. and Mrs. Eldred, their oldest son, William and her mother, Mrs. A. B. Gilchrist, are all members of the Presbyterian church at Carrollton. Mr. Eldred is a member of lodge No. 50 of the Masonic fraternity, and also of chapter No. 77, R.A.M. He is an intelligent, enterprising citizen and stands high in the estimation of all who know him.