EDWARD D. JOHNSON, livery stable, commenced business in April, 1885, renting of some of the heirs of Jacob Hunt, who established the same many years ago, in a frame building on the present site, which building was destroyed by fire. In 1878, the present brick structure, which is 50x180 feet in size, two stories high, was built, at a cost of $7,500. It is supplied with about 12 single and double rigs, with an average of 10 or 12 head of stock.
Edward D. Johnson was born in Jerseyville, Ill., on April 22, 1852, and is a son of H. L. and Martha (Hutchinson) Johnson, the former a native of England, the latter of Ohio. His father has been, at various times, a miller, farmer, livery-man and grocer, and has accumulated a handsome fortune. He is now residing in Carrollton. Edward received his education at Jacksonville, Ill., and subsequently commenced business as a clerk in his father's grocery store, being thus engaged for 14 years. In the year 1885, he embarked in the livery business, and has his building stocked with the best horses and finest of vehicles. In 1885, Mr. Johnson was united in marriage with Lottie English, a daughter of J. W. and Eliza (Striker) English, residents of Jacksonville, Ill., J. W. English being an attorney of that city. Mrs. Johnson is a member of the Episcopal church. Mr. Johnson is an active, energetic and reliable business man, and his undertakings, we hope, will always meet with success.