JAMES MCPHERON was born in Anderson county, Tenn., Feb. 8, 1826, his parents being Amos and Hettie (Morris) McPheron, the former a native of Tennessee, the latter of Virginia. His parents were married in Tennessee, where they remained until 1829, when they removed to Jacksonville, Morgan county, Ill., where his father engaged in farming about three years. They made the trip to this state in a four-horse wagon, that being the only means of conveyance in pioneer times. In the winter of 1831, they came to Greene county, and located in Linder township, where he entered 80 acres of land, for which he gave $100, and what is very remarkable, he is still living on the land which he first entered. He is now in his 89th year, and is among the oldest settlers now in Greene county. James was reared on a farm, staying with his parents until he was 17 years old, when he started out in life for himself, working out from 1843 until 1847. He was then married, and settled down in Linder township, where he farmed two years on rented ground. He then bought 130 acres of land in the same township, on which he remained eight years, or until 1858, when he sold out, and with his family took a pleasure trip to Fayetteville, Ark., where they remained one winter, returning to Carrollton in the spring of 1859. Mr. McPheron then engaged in teaming and huckstering for one year, and in 1860 purchased 11½ acres of ground on section 26, which was owned by the Boston company. There were no improvements on the place, but it cost him $100 per acre. On this ground he started in the garden and nursery business. He improved the place, built a nice brick house and all necessary outbuildings, and the present surroundings show that he has been a successful, enterprising business man. Four years previous to going into the nursery business, he ran a grocery store at the C. & A. depot, just after the completion of the road. He now has a business place at Carrollton, opposite the Walker House, where he disposes of fruits and vegetables, all of which he raises, and he carries on the most extensive business of that kind in this vicinity. He is located inside the city limits, and cultivates 16 acres of ground. He was married, Nov. 4, 1847, to Amanda C. Cato, daughter of George E. and Euphemia (Rief) Cato. By this union there are six children - Edwin N., married Katie Doublebower, resides in Greenfield; Ella, wife of John Scruby, living at Roodhouse; Anna E., wife of L. W. Loomis, of Carrollton; Laura B., wife of John Clough, Jr., of Carrollton township; Robert A., married Maggie E. Camp, resides in Carrollton; and James C., at home. Mr. McPherson has a floral department in connection with his business, which was organized on a small scale, in 1882, by Robert, who is the florist. It is now one of the largest greenhouses in the county. It is 18x70 feet in size, is covered with 1,600 feet of glass, and is the only house in the county heated with hot water pipes.