AUGUSTINE PERRY, a prominent resident of Kane township, was born in Hopkinsville, Christian county, Ky., on the 23d of Sept., 1829, and was a son of Nathaniel M. and Frances A. (Tandy) Perry. Col. Nathaniel M. Perry, a native of Orange county, Va., was born Nov. 30, 1806, being a son of James and Ann Perry, of English descent. His father died in 1815, and in 1818, his mother removed with her children to Christian county, Ky. She died Oct. 7, 1853, at the residence of her son, N. M. Perry, in Greene county, Ill. Col. Perry received his education in the schools of Kentucky, and after finishing, he engaged in teaching a select school at Nashville, Tenn., and was very successful. In the winter of 1828 he was married to Frances A. Tandy, daughter of Henry Tandy, of Clarksville, Tenn., originally from Virginia. By this union there were four children, of which Augustine, the subject of this sketch was one. After his marriage Mr. Perry engaged in agricultural pursuits. He left the state of Kentucky and came to Illinois, arriving in Greene county, in 1836, and soon after locating at Homer, where he built a residence and the first business house in the town. He put a general stock of merchandise in this store, and continued in that business until 1872, carrying on farming at the same time, he having bought 200 acres of land when he first came to the county. In 1855 he became partner in a firm to build a steam grist mill, and afterward became sole owner, which he was for several years. In the month of Dec., 1837, his wife died, and in 1840 he was again married to Eliza Hill, daughter of Rev. William Hill, formerly of Virginia. By this union there were five children. Col. Perry became a member of the Baptist church when only 17 years old, and ever afterward lived an exemplary life. He was a deacon in the church for many years. In July, 1861, he was again called upon to mourn the loss of his wife. In the fall of 1864 he was nominated and elected to the legislature, by the democratic party, which position he ably filled, with honor and integrity. On the 2d of Oct., 1872, he was married to Mary Bowman, daughter of Martin Bowman of Carrollton. After selling his store out he retired form business altogether, intending to take some ease and enjoyment of the remainder of his days. On the 5th of Oct., 1875, he departed this life. He was admired by all for his sociability, honorable integrity and rectitude. Augustine went behind the counter of his father's store when he was in his 16th year, and remained as clerk 10 years. He then became a partner, and so continued for two years. Jan. 1, 1858, he withdrew, giving place to a younger brother, J. M. Perry, now of Kansas City, Mo. In June, 1858, he formed a partnership with his brother-in-law, Dr. B. G. Culver, and sold goods at White Hall for four years, when he was advised by his physicians to quit the business, which he did, and in the fall of 1862, returned to his old home, and engaged in farming, and has since continued in that occupation. He now owns 800 acres of valuable land, and is an extensive farmer and dealer in stock. He is a member of the R.A.M. chapter, No. 77, and of commandery, No. 29, of Carrollton, and also of the A.F. & A.M., of Kane. In politics, he is a democrat. He is one of Greene county's wealthy and most prominent men, and enjoys the esteem of all who know him.