HENRY SELHORST was born in the province of Westphalia, in the empire of Germany, December 2, 1846, his parents being Henry and Mary (Koppel) Selhorst, also natives of Westphalia. Henry was reared there to farm life, and when 21 years old, entered the Germany army, serving four years. During that time the Franco-Prussian war came on, and in this he took part. His regiment, the 5th Uhlan, was in the 7th division, under Gen. Zoebner, in the corps commanded by Gen. Steinmetz. Among other battles, campaigns, etc., he was in the siege of Metz, and participated in all the fighting around that point until its capitulation. From there he went to Normandy, where he was in the fighting which took place in that department. They then went to Germany, and one year later his term of service expired. He re-engaged in farming, but soon began making preparations to come to America. He went to Bremen and took passage for New York, in the year 1874. On arriving there he came directly to St. Louis, and staid there one year, then came to Greene county, Ill., and bought 40 acres of land in T. 9, R. 13. He kept that three years and then sold it and moved to Jersey county, where he rented land for two years. He then returned to Greene county, and bought 80 acres of land, under the bluff in Woodville township. This he sold in the fall of 1884, and bought 377 acres on sections 22 and 27, in the same township, on which he now resides. He was married May 25, 1876, to Elizabeth Goeddy, a native of this county, and a daughter of Henry and Mary Goeddy. By this marriage there are three children - Mary, Elizabeth, and an infant, not yet named. Mr. and Mrs. Selhorst are members of the Catholic church, at Carrollton. Mr. Selhorst's parents both died in the old country.