Transcribed by: Mary Ann KaylorPage 226
W. A. ALLEN, M. D. was born near White Hall, Greene county, Illinois, October 28, 1848; he was the son of Jesse and Mary B. Allen; his father was a farmer. Dr. Allen received all the educational advantages afforded by the schools of his native place, and when qualified entered the Blackburn College, in Carlinville, where he remained two years; subsequently he taught a district school two terms, and at the same time he was reading medicine. At the age of twenty-three years he entered as a student of medicine the office of Dr. R. M. Wilson, of Palmyra, where he remained one and a half years. He then entered Rush Medical College of Chicago, where he graduated and received his diploma in the spring of 1874. He immediately began practice with Dr. Wilson in Palmyra, where he remained until the following fall. He then opened an office near Decatur, Illinois, where he practiced eighteen months. In 1876 he bought out the practice of Dr. Wilson, and located permanently in Palmyra, and almost immediately entered upon a lucrative practice. December 19th, 1878, he was united in marriage to Miss Anna Corn, daughter of A. M. Corn of Friends' Creek near Decatur, Macon county, Illinois. Dr. Allen is as yet upon the threshold of his professional life, but he bids fair to attain to prominence in his profession. He is a student yet; although his training in one of the best medical schools in the county has been thorough, he, unlike many others, realizes that the profession of medicine is a life-long study.