JOHN ANDREWS - With one exception Mr. Andrews is now the oldest settler of Brighton township. He was born in Sussex county, Virginia, January 30th, 1815. His grandfather, John Andrews, was a soldier in the Revolutionary war. His father, Joseph Andrews, was a soldier in the War of 1812, and married Susan Ellis, whose grandfather had emigrated to Virginia from Ireland; her father, John Ellis, was also a Revolutionary soldier. In 1817, when Mr. Andrews was in his third year, the family moved to Todd county, Kentucky, and lived there till 1830, and then emigrated to Illinois, and settled on the northeast corner of section six of Brighton township. His father entered nine hundred and sixty acres of land, part of it in Jersey county. Mr. Andrews married Martha A. Miles, daughter of Alexander Miles, July 18, 1837. She was a native of Logan county, Kentucky. From the time of his marriage, with the exception of five years, when, on account of ill health, he leased out his farm and moved to the adjoining section, he has resided on his present farm. He owns four hundred acres of land. He has had five children, viz: William P., who died in 1856 at the age of eighteen; Eliza J., wife of Thomas H. Simmons; Hobart M., who was in the army during the war and died from diseases contracted in the service; Martha Ann, who died when two years old; and John E., who is living on the farm. Hobart M., the oldest son, enlisted in 1862 in the 122d Illinois regiment, the history of which is well known to the people of Macoupin county. He was in several battles in Mississippi and in the last battle at Nashville; was taken sick at Mobile and removed to the hospital at New Orleans; was mustered out of service in August, 1865; was again taken sick from diseases resulting from exposure while in the service, and died in December. Mr. Andrews was originally a Whig, and voted for Hugh L. White of Tennessee, for President, in 1836. He was afterward an early member of the republican party. Both he and his wife have been members of the Methodist Church since 1834.