Dr. GEORGE BLEY was born at Dettingen, in Wittenberg, Germany, Jan. 12th, 1821. He is the son of Geo. Bley and Sophia Muller. His father emigrated to America and settled in Berks county, Pennsylvania, in 1832. Dr. Bley left home when twelve years of age, and when fifteen was apprenticed to the drug business in Philadelphia. He opened a drug store on his own account in that city as soon as he became twenty-one.
He determined to become a physician; attended lectures at the Jefferson Medical College in 1845; during 1848-49 and 1849-50 was a student at the Philadelphia College of Medicine, from which he graduated in 1850. He began practice in Philadelphia; removed to Scott county, Iowa, in 1855; to Rock Island, Illinois in 1858; to Monroe county, Illinis, in 1859; and to Staunton, in October, 1861, where in 1869 he opened a drug store, and is now known as a skilful physician and good citizen.
He married Elizabeth W. Lavis, October 1st, 1846. He has six children, Nellie, the wife of D. C. Wurtz; Lizzie W., who married Thomas Blair; George Bley, David L. Bley, Robert E. Bley, and Mary L. Bley. The two youngest sons graduated at the Jefferson Medical College, the former in 1875 and the latter in 1877, and are now practicing medicine at Staunton. Dr. Bley is a republican in politics.