NEWELL H. BROWN - was born in Giles county, Tenn., Jan. 14, 1835. His ancestors, both on his father's and mother's side, were Scotch people, who settled in North Carolina before the Revolutionary war. Some particulars of the history of the family in North Carolina will be found in the biographical sketch of his brother, Samuel Brown. His father was Peter Brown, and his mother's name before marriage was Catharine Barker. They were married in North Carolina, and in the year 1826 removed to Giles county, Tennessee, where they lived till 1839, then came to Illinois and settled in Greene county near Carrollton. In 1844 the family moved to the south-west part of Chesterfield township in Macoupin county, and in 1850 to Hilyard township, half a mile west of Plainview. His father died in 1864 in Shipman township. Mr. Brown was four years old when he came to Illinois, and nine when his father became a resident of Macoupin county. The elementary part of his education he obtained in the subscription schools, and in September, 1855, he became a student in Shurtleff College at Alton. He left college in the spring of 1858, and for a couple of years afterward was employed in the store of his brother, Samuel Brown, at Plainview. He was a partner in this store from 1860 till October, 1868, when he went out of the mercantile business to become a member of the firm of Welch, Brown & Co., who have been carrying on the Plainview mill. He was married, November 13, 1862 to Miss Lizzie Otwell of Carlinville. He has six children living. He has been a member of the republican party from the time he was old enough to cast a vote. He was chosen to fill a vacancy in the office of Justice of the Peace, and held that position for two years. In the spring of 1878 he was elected a member of the Board of Supervisors from Hilyard township, and is the only republican every elected to that office in the township. He is the youngest of three brothers living in the county all of whom have been among our best citizens; the oldest, Samuel Brown, is a merchant at Plainview, and the remaining brother, John Brown, resides in Shipman township.