A. G. DAVID was born in Fayette county, Pennsylvania, on the 25th of March, 1832. Jesse David, his father, was also a native of the same state. His ancestors were from Wales. In April, 1839, he removed west and settled in Jersey county, Illinois, where he engaged in farming. He remained there until the fall of 1850, when he sold out and came to Macoupin county, and settled in Bunker Hill township, where he remained until his death, which occurred in 1852. He married Miss Barbara Pentzer, who was of German ancestry, but was a native of Pennsylvania and a resident of that state at the time of her marriage. She was born in what is known as the "Little Cove," in Bedford county. She is still living, and at present is a resident of Lincoln, Logan county, Illinois. Eight children were born to Jesse and Barbara David, five of whom are still living. The subject of our sketch is the eldest in the family. He received a fair education in the common schools of Illinois, and taught school some time prior to 1850, at which time he went to Gillespie and entered a store as a clerk, in which capacity he remained until 1857. He then entered the grain business and grocery trade, in which he continued until March, 1862, when he sold out his interests in Gillespie, and removed to Bunker Hill. This was during the first years of the war. During the year last above mentioned, he spent several months at Camp Butler, Springfield, Illinois, as post sutler for the 97th regiment, Illinois volunteers. He returned to Bunker Hill, where he remained until 1863, when he went down the Mississippi river as sutler on the boat "John B. Raine." In July of the same year he returned to the county and located at Brighton, where he formed a partnership with L. P. and E. B. Stratton in the grain business. He continued in the grain business until 1866, when he was compelled to abandon it on account of his wife's failing health, and returned to Bunker Hill, and remained until after the death of his wife, which occurred July 3d, 1866. He afterwards engaged in the milling business in Bunker Hill and continued in it until the spring of the following year, then went to St. Louis and entered the produce commission business in connection with J. H. Hamilton & Co. He closed out in April, 1868, and in the summer of the same year purchased grain in Leavenworth, Kansas. In the fall of 1868 he and his brother purchased a stock of goods in Lincoln, Illinois, and in the spring of 1869, removed them to Hamilton, Missouri, where he closed them out. He afterwards went to work on the Caldwell County Sentinel as traveling agent and correspondent. He remained there until November, 1870, when he came to Carlinville and engaged with the Democrat in the same capacity.
It was while traveling through this county as correspondent that Mr. David made his reputation as a pleasant, ready, descriptive writer, and his articles and historical sketches of the first settlements of the different parts of the county, together with his description of the pioneer era of this section of the state, are remembered yet by many of the citizens and readers of the Democrat. They were widely read and copied by other local journals. In August of 1871 he came into the office as local editor and bookkeeper, and has ever since remained in that capacity. Mr. David is an industrious worker, and as a gatherer up of "unconsidered trifles," he is excelled by few. He has a pleasant, easy style of writing, and the local columns of the Democrat always show a freshness and vigor for which he is responsible. In 1878 he formed partnership with C. T. Prouty in the insurance business, and at present in addition to his duties as local editor, is industriously engaged in looking after the interests of his patrons in the latter business. In October, 1855, he was united in marriage with Miss Elizabeth Carter, who was a native of Lexington, Ky. One child, a boy, was the fruit of this union. The boy has grown to manhood, and is now a reporter on one of the St. Louis daily newspapers. Elizabeth David died July 3d, 1866. On the 16th of April 1871, he married Mrs. Eliza A. Stagg, of Mason city, Illinois. She is a native of New York. One child, a boy, has been born to them. Mr. David is a member of the Presbyterian church, and takes an active part in that Christian organization.
In politics he is a republican, and voted for John C. Fremont, in 1856, and has remained true to that political party ever since. As a man, Mr. David is regarded by all as an upright and exemplary citizen, and as such, enjoys the confidence and esteem of the entire community. In August, 1879, he bought one-half of the stock of the Macoupin printing company from W. W. Edwards, and now with H. M. Kimball is joint owner of the Democrat.