GEORGE HERBERT GILSON, M.D., is a native of Illinois. He was born in the village of Brighton, Macoupin county, September 15th, 1853, and is the son of James W. Gilson. The subject of our sketch is the youngest of the family. He spent his boyhood days in Brighton, and attended the common schools until his seventeenth year, when he entered Blackburn University at Carlinville, Illinois, and took the scientific course. He remained there for three years, after which time he commenced reading medicine, and in August, 1874, entered the St. Louis Medical College, at St. Louis, and graduated from that institution in March, 1876, and immediately thereafter commenced the practice of his profession at Shipman, Illinois, where he at present resides, and where, by close attention to his profession, studious habits, and honorable conduct, he has succeeded in building up a lucrative and extensive practice. It is not necessary to state that Dr. Gilson belongs to the regular school of medicine, and notwithstanding the many departures from the well beaten track, he has always remained true to his first teachings in medical science. The doctor is a member of the Presbyterian Church. In politics he is a republican, and cast his first vote for Rutherford B. Hayes in 1876. He, however, is not a politician. Dr. Gilson is yet a young man, just entering upon the threshold of his professional life, and from the reputation he has already obtained as a successful practitioner of the healing art, it may not be regarded as an evidence of unusual foresight to predict for him a successful and honorable career in his chosen calling. In his manners he is an affable and agreeable gentleman.