F. W. RING was born on the Rhine, in the province of Darmstadt, Germany. His youth was spent in receiving a thorough musical education, for which he was specially fitted by nature; music was his delight as a boy, and his taste and love for it grew with his years. When his musical education was completed in his native land, he emigrated to America, arriving here in 1855. Soon after his arrival in this country he engaged as a musician, and traveled over a great portion of the United States in that capacity; he was also for a considerable time engaged in the orchestra in St. Louis. At the breaking out of the war he entered into the service as sergeant of Co. "C," 14th Regt. Ills. Vols., Col. John M. Palmer commanding. He was soon afterwards detached, and joined the Band Corps, where he remained until mustered out. He then came to St. Louis and served the balance of his time in the City Post Band, after which he came to Virden and engaged in produce trading. In 1867 he removed to Girard, and started in the restaurant business; he soon after engaged in the saloon business, in which he continued for ten years, when he went back to restaurant, baking and dealing in family groceries and supplies, in which he still continues. In 1863 he was united in marriage to Miss Charlotte Iech, who was a resident of St. Louis. Nine children have been born to them, seven of whom are living - four boys and three girls.
In politics Mr. Ring is a democrat, but was formerly a republican. Mr. Ring as a musician has been quite successful; he has organized and been leader of different bands in this section of the country. He has made a great many friends by means of his music, and at the same time it has been a source of considerable revenue to him. He is an agreeable gentleman in his manners, and is liked by the entire community.