WILLIAM C. ALDERSON, one of the prosperous and enterprising agriculturists of this county, lives on section 16, North Otter Township, where he has an attractive and arable tract of land. He is the son of Robert Alderson, a native of Sumner County, Tenn., where he was born in 1810. His worthy mother bore the maiden name of Elizabeth C. Clack, she being a native of Kentucky, and born in 1812. This couple were married in Kentucky and thinking they could better their fortunes by emigrating westward, decided upon Illinois whence they came early in the ‘30s. After their arrival here they settled in Morgan County, where they remained nearly three years. Thence they came to this county and took up land in North Otter Township on what is known as Elm Grove. They continued to reside in this township most of the time until they removed to Kansas during the latter part of the ‘70s and spent their last days in Cherokee County.
The worthy parents of our subject had born unto them an interesting family of eleven children, of whom our subject was the second in the order of birth. He first saw the lift of life in Morgan County, February 12, 1834, and when he was still an infant of less than one year his parents came to North Otter Township, this county. Here he received the rudiments of his education in the district schools and as soon as old enough began the occupation of agriculture which he has followed all his life. He has always made a good success of his work, having a great deal of push, pluck and perseverance, and he has added at times to his tract until he now has nine hundred and two broad and fertile acres, one hundred and sixty of which are located in Sangamon County, this State. It is necessary that everything should be in a line with the land, which is highly cultivated and under the best supervision, and hence Mr. Alderson has erected on his place a good set of farm buildings for the accommodation of his stock, tools, and all necessary outbuildings. But besides these the residence in which the family resides is one of great attractiveness, a fact which a glance at the view presented in this connection will at once prove to the reader.
The lady who presides over the home of Mr. Alderson with so much grace and dignity was united in marriage with him March 25, 1858. In her maiden days she bore the name of Miss Lucretia A. Raffety, and is the daughter of Thomas B. and Mary (Wriston) Raffety. The father is a native of Kentucky where he was born in 1812, and the mother was born in 1810, in Tennessee. They emigrated to Greene County, Ill., with their parents and were united in marriage in that county where they have since made their home. They became the parents of ten children, of whom the wife of our subject was the fourth born.
The genial union of Mr. and Mrs. Alderson has been blest by the birth of ten children who are named as follows: Robert T. who died in infancy; John H., who married Miss Dora Woodman and is a liveryman; Worner J., who took to wife Nora Nivins and is a farmer in North Otter Township; William E., who married Carrie Kable and is a farmer in North Otter Township; Etta A., who married William Riffey; Mary E., who is the wife of Charles M. Brennan; Ella M., Francis B., Iva M., and one child who died in infancy unnamed.
Mr. Alderson, though not an office seeker has held the responsible position of School Director of his district and not only did so with credit to himself but with the great advantage to the community. In politics he casts his vote with the Democratic party. Religiously he and his amiable wife are active and consistent members of the Methodist Episcopal Church and are held in the highest esteem by all with whom they come in contact.