CHARLES BLACK. The resident on and owner of the farm located on section 17, of Shipman Township, is the gentleman whose name is at the head of this sketch. His father was Robert Black who was probably born in Pennsylvania. His mother was Isabella (Skelton) Black. They came from Pennsylvania to Ohio and settled in the Hocking Valley where both died after a life of usefulness, the mother rearing a family of six children, imbuing their young minds with an early sense of honor and uprightness that has served them well in their relations both business and social throughout their career.
Our subject was born in Hocking County, Ohio, April 3, 1838. He was reared on a farm and continued to live in his native State and county until he grew to manhood. He left Ohio in 1859, and went to Pettis County, Mo., remaining there about thirteen months, during which time he was engaged in farming. He then came to Greene County, Ill., and worked out by the month until 1863.
Soon after coming here he was attracted by the sweet face and pleasant manners of Miss Martha J. Baldwin, and in the words of Burns "To see her was to love her," and August 16, 1863, the young couple were married. The lady was a daughter of Benjamin and Martha (Verner) Baldwin, the former a native of Virginia and the latter of Ohio. They became residents of Greene County in 1850, where they lived until the time of their death. A large family of thirteen children came to bless and brighten the evening of their life and to encircle the hearthstone. Of these Mrs. Black was one of the younger members. She was born in Warren County, Ohio, April 3, 1839. Soon after the marriage of our subject and his lady they came to Macoupin County, in September, 1863, and settled in Shipman township on section 17, where they have since resided.
Mr. and Mrs. Black are the parents of two children, Charles W. and Eva A. She is the wife of C. A. Andrews. The original of this sketch has always been engaged in agricultural pursuits. He is the owner of one hundred and sixty-one acres of land, that has rewarded his efforts, by producing large crops, in proportion to the number of acres cultivated. He has erected a fine house surrounded with pleasant piazzas from which a charming view may be had of the surrounding country, that in itself is a picture which only a Corot would be worthy of attempting to reproduce on canvas. The other buildings upon the place are all well appointed and in good condition. He has added every improvement within his means to make the place homelike and comfortable. Politically he is a Democrat, affiliating with that party on every tenet of its platform.