GEORGE L. BROWN, residing on section 30, Carlinville Township, who is one of the representative men of Macoupin County, was born in Berkshire County, Mass. His early youth and manhood were spent in Massachusetts, New York and Virginia till 1852, when he came West and settled in Morgan and Scott Counties, Ill., where for a period of several years he was successfully engaged in mercantile pursuits. In January, 1863, he entered the service of the Government and for three years was Paymaster in the army. In 1871 he settled in Carlinville, Ill., where he made extensive and valuable improvements, not only in the city but in the country adjacent and is the owner of valuable city and county property.
His first marriage took place in Litchfield County, Conn., to Miss Mary L. Couch, a native of that county. Three children were born to them, two sons and one daughter, who were graduates of Blackburn University. Howard S., the eldest, was married to Miss Dora M. Bettersworth, daughter of Dr. Bettersworth, of Carlinville, was formerly engaged in the land and loan business. He died July 8, 1890; Charles W., the second son, who is a lawyer in Rapid City, S. Dak., married Miss Adelia Gore, daughter of Hon. David Gore, of Carlinville. Caroline I. is the wife of John H. Robinson, of Pueblo, Col. Mrs. Mary L. Brown, who was greatly esteemed for her many lovable qualities of mind and heart, gently passed to her everlasting rest at El Paso, Tex., February 6, 1889. His present wife was formerly Mrs. E. M. Whittaker, widow of the late Dr. Whittaker, of New Jersey.
Mr. Brown is a believer in Republican principles and formerly has taken an active part in political affairs. He is also a believer in the doctrines of Christianity and is a prominent member of the Presbyterian Church, in which he has filled some of the important offices.
In the home of our subject one can well note the air of culture and refinement which there exists. Macoupin County can boast of many excellent men and Mr. Brown takes high rank with those whose memories should be perpetuated and kept green.