JOHN T. CAIN, who is engaged in farming on section 5, Honey Point Township, is a Southerner by birth, the place of his nativity being Grayson County, Ky., and the date, May 3, 1846. He is a son of Abraham P. Cain, who is supposed to have been a native of the same county. The father of the latter, Patrick Cain, was born in Ireland, and on coming to America settled among the pioneers of Grayson County, where he engaged in farming, and there spent his last years.
Abraham P. Cain was reared on a Kentucky farm, and continued to live in his native State until 1850, when he came to Illinois, accompanied by his wife and three children. They made the journey with a team, brining all their household effects with them and cooking and camping often by the way. After arriving in this State, Mr. Cain located in Jersey County, residing a short time on Hawkin's Prairie, then removed to Kemper's Station, where he lived two years. He next rented a farm south of there, and dwelt upon it until 1860, when he came to Macoupin County, and purchased a tract of partly improved land in Shipman Township. At that time Alton was the nearest market and depot for supplies, there being no railways here then. He engaged in the improvement of his farm, and made his home here until his death. The name of his wife before marriage was Nancy Downs. She is a Kentuckian by birth, and a daughter of Israel Downs. She is living at a venerable age, making her home on the home farm, and is the mother of seven children, namely - Margaret A., John T., Sarah C., Israel Taylor, James W., Mary E. and J. Harden.
John T. Cain, of whom these lines are written was but five years old when the family came to Illinois, and he remembers well the incidents of pioneer life in Jersey County, during his boyhood. At the time that they settled there the country still retained much of its primitive condition, and deer and other wild game were numerous. He was reared on a farm, assisting in its manifold duties, and gaining a good practical knowledge of agriculture that has been of value to him since he began his independent career as a farmer. In 1872 he rented land in Brushy Mound Township, which he cultivated very profitably, and he continued to reside in that township, until 1882, when he bought and removed to the farm he now occupies in Honey Point Township. This farm, with its excellent improvements, is a valuable piece of property, and yields its owner a comfortable income.
November 4, 1875, Mr. Cain married Miss Mary E. Morgan, a native of this county, East Carlinville Township, her birthplace. Their pleasant wedded life has been blessed to them by the birth of six children, namely: Edward R., Leola, Ruth C., Ina H., John R., and Margaret A.
Mrs. Cain's father, Thomas Morgan, was born in Shropshire, England, February 21, 1829. He remained in his native land until he was twenty four years old, when he came to America, crossing the ocean in a sailing vessel, and landing at New Orleans. From that city he came northward as far as Memphis, Tenn., and after tarrying there a year, he came to this county. He resided for two years at Carlinville, and then settled at South Otter Township, of which he has since been a resident. He was a carpenter by trade, and worked on some of the first frame houses ever erected at Carlinville. He followed his trade for a time after locating in South Otter Township, but for many year has devoted himself to farming, and owns a good farm of forty acres.
Mr. Morgan was married in this county July 10, 1851, to Miss Harriet Walton, who was born in New York City, February 20, 1832. They have five children as follows - Mary E., Florence, William L., Minnie H., and Thomas E.