WILLIAM H. CHAMBERLAIN. Within the bounds of Bunker Hill Township may be found the homes of many successful farmers, but none more deserving of notice than Mr. Chamberlain. He is located on section 11, where he owns one hundred and seventy acres of highly improved and productive land. He has a full supply of farm buildings and a beautiful large residence of modern design. The residence takes the place of one which, with its contents was destroyed by fire in September, 1887, entailing a heavy loss upon the owner. Mr. Chamberlain has his farm well stocked, chiefly with milch cows, from which he sends milk to the St. Louis markets. S. A. Chamberlain, father of our subject, was born in Massachusetts and was of English descent. After growing to manhood he carried on an inn for some years. In 1830, with his wife and two children, he removed to this State and made his first pause in Alton. Soon afterward he began to farm on a preemption claim in Godfrey Township, Madison County, and secured other land until he became the owner of a tract. He lived to see his home well improved and died in 1862 at the age of fifty-six years. He was a successful farmer and a good citizen. He was married in his native State to Betsey Nutter, whose parents were born in this country but whose remote ancestors were English. She survived him and after his decease lived with her children, finally dying at the home of her son William H., August 16, 1872, when seventy-three years old. Husband and wife belonged to the Unitarian Church and Mr. Chamberlain was first a Whig and then a Republican in politics.
The gentleman whose name introduces these paragraphs was born in Alton in 1835 and is the second member of the family who was born in this State. He has one brother, S. A. Chamberlain, now of Southern Missouri, living. His boyhood and youth were passed in his native county and he was educated at Shurtleff College in Upper Alton. After his marriage he established his home in the same county, whence he came hither in the fall of 1866. He has put the property in fine condition and year by year secures the reward of his industry. The wife of Mr. Chamberlain was known in her maidenhood as Miss Wilminia J. Dickerson. She was born in Fredericks, Del., February 17, 1812, and accompanied her parents, Deacon Nehemiah and Aurelia (Hudson) Dickerson, to this State in 1844. They traveled with other families across the country, camping out where night over took them, and after a journey of six weeks reached Alton. They secured improved land in Godfrey Township, Madison County, and made a comfortable home, remaining there until early in the '70s, when they sold out and removed to Brighton, Ill. Mr. Dickerson is now seventy-nine and his wife seventy-seven years of age. The husband was formerly a Whig and is now a Republican. Both have been lifelong members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.