HENRY CLARK, an industrious and intelligent farmer residing on section 27, Staunton Township, was born in this township, January 7, 1855, and is a representative of one of the honored pioneer families of the county. His father, William Clark, was a native of the Emerald Isle and came of a good Irish family. His parents, who were honest, worthy and respected people and members of the Presbyterian Church, spent their entire lives in the county of his nativity. William grew to manhood upon the farm, became a freeholder, and engaged in agricultural pursuits in Ireland until he came to America.
Eliza Little, who became the wife of William Clark, was born and reared in the same neighborhood as her husband and belonged to a family who embraced the Protestant faith. Her father died when she was a small child, after which the widowed mother cared for her four daughters, devoting herself exclusively to their interests. William Clark and his wife came to the United States with their three children in 1842, sailing from Belfast on the "John Bull", which landed him and his family in New York after a voyage of six weeks and three days. The autumn of that year found them established in a home in Pittsburg, but soon after they came to Illinois, lo9cating in Staunton Township, Macoupin County, where Mr. Clark entered eighty acres of land from the Government and began developing a farm, after building a log house.
Not a furrow had been turned nor an improvement made, but Mr. Clark soon had a large tract under cultivation and the crops which were garnered proved ample for the maintenance of the family. Some eighteen years later he sold to a good advantage and then made the purchase of one hundred and sixty acres on section 28, of the same township. An additional tract of eighty acres was afterward added on the west and the entire farm of two hund5red and forty acres was improved with good buildings and other evidences of the thrift and enterprise of the owner. Mr. Clark was a hard working and energetic man, fair in all his dealings, and to his business interests he devoted his entire attention, caring nothing for public honors or political offices. He supported the Republican party by his ballot, and in religious belief was a Presbyterian. His widow, who yet survives her husband, finds a pleasant home with our subject. She is now seventy-five years of age. A member of the Presbyterian Church, she has led a consistent life and for her many excellencies of character and her great kindness is beloved by all.
We now take up the personal history of Henry Clark, whose entire life has been passed on the old homestead farm. Midst play and work his boyhood days were passed, and when he attained to mature years he was joined in wedlock with Miss Louisa E. Powers. This estimable lady was born in Staunton Township, July 10, 1854, and is a daughter of Daniel and Lucy (Cormack) Powers. Her parents were natives of North Carolina and Tennessee, respectively, and they were married in Illinois where they have lived since childhood. Their domestic life was begun upon a farm in Staunton Township, where they made their home until called to their final rest. Mrs. Clark was left an orphan during childhood. By marriage she has become the mother of four children, one son and three daughters: Grace, now deceased; Samuel D., Mary E. And Martha A., twins. On the death of his father, January 17, 1878, Mr. Clark came into possession of the old homestead under shoe sheltering roof his childhood days were passed, and a view of which is presented on another page. In addition to the one hundred and twenty acres of arable land which he owns he has forty acres of timber land. Industrious and energetic, he is meeting with excellent success in his undertakings and regarded as one of the progressive and public-spirited citizens of the community.