MARTIN DICKERSON, a native of Kentucky, which is known for its highly cultivated farms located on undulating ground where the sun yellows the wheat as it slants upon the bills, and having virgin forests that are comparable with nothing in this country. He early learned the comforts of the old Colonial homes with their wide southern halls and open piazzas, located on some eminence that commands a broad perspective of field, river and forest. We are ever struggling to come up to our ideals and our ideals are only a shade better or more beautiful than the best that we have seen or know. Thus the realization of Mr. Dickerson's home is only a modified copy of the beautiful colonial places abounding in his native State.
Our subject, a son of the late Lewis Dickerson was a native of Virginia. His mother was Catherine (Rice) Dickerson. She also was born in Virginia. After the marriage of Lewis Dickerson, he with his wife removed to Jessamine County, Ky., where he died. After his death the mother removed to this county and settled near Carlinville; she died at the residence of her son Martin, in Girard Township. Of a family of seven children the original of our sketch was the fifth, he was born in Jessamine County, Ky., March 5, 1816, and came to Macoupin County with his mother when he was a young man.
Mr. Dickerson was married in Girard Township, December 20, 1841, to Miss Mahala Harlan, a daughter of Mathew Harlan. She was born in Christian County, Ky.; her mother was Mary (Roberts) Harlan, a native of North Carolina. They removed from Todd County, Ky., to Sangamon County, Ill., but lived there only two years, and then changed their abode to Macoupin County, settling in Girard Township where the wife died. The father died in Brushy Mound Township. Mrs. Dickerson was one of the oldest in a family of nine children. She was born in Christian County, Ky., December 13, 1815.
When Martin Dickerson was married he with his bride settled in what is now Shaw's Point Township. They lived there five or six years and then removed to Girard Township. In 1866 they settled on section 2, Nilwood Township, where Martin Dickerson, our subject, died January 3, 1877. Our subject and his wife were the parents of nine children, four of whom are living: George W., Mary C., Edward H., and Thomas R. George W. married Clara Clayton and resides in Nebraska. They have two bright children who are named respectively Mabel and Minnie. Mary C. is the wife of George Beck. She is the mother of one son, Jesse M. Thomas R. now resides at home and operates the farm. The youngest son, Edmund H., married Ida Langley and resides in Nilwood Township. He is the father of two children, Ethel R. and Edward R.
Mr. Dickerson was a man who had won the respect and esteem of the community in which he lived. Open hearted and generous he was ever ready to do all in his power for any one who might need his aid. He and his estimable wife were considered representative people of the township. He was the owner of two hundred acres of improved land and the home that he made thereon was an ideal one of comfort and rural life.