GEORGE W. DUNCAN, who resides on section 3, Cahokia Township, where he carries on general farming and stock raising, is a representative of one of the pioneer families of the county, his father, Dr. Nathan Duncan, having here settled at an early day. He was born in North Carolina as were the grandparents of our subject and the family is of English origin. The Doctor married a North Carolina lady, Miss E. Lavina Linebarger, whose parents, natives of Pennsylvania, were of German descent. Two children were born unto them, Mary and Absalom, but before they left North Carolina the daughter died. The Doctor with his wife and son and her parents came to the North, locating first in Indiana and after a year the Duncan family came to Illinois, locating first on the farm which is now occupied by our subject. This land the Doctor entered from the Government and in true pioneer style he began life, being one of the first settlers of the township. The nearest post office was in Carlinville, fifteen miles away and their markets were St. Louis and Alton, where they journeyed with ox teams, five days being required to make the trip. Some years later Dr. and Mrs. Duncan went to Montgomery County, Ill., where the lady, who was a consistent member and active worker in the Methodist Church, died at the age of seventy-five. The Doctor survived his wife some years and passed away in Sherman, Tex. He became a prominent man in every community in which he resided and was for many years Class-Leader in the Methodist Church. He was not a graduated physician but won his title on account of his home practice, he doctoring with herbs which he gathered from the woods.
The subject of this sketch first opened his eyes to the light of day on the farm which is still his home, February 13, 1834, and there his childhood and youth were passed. It has been his home continuously since yet he has traveled extensively over the country. HE has been engaged in the stock business both in Illinois and Kansas on his own account and for other parties and in this way has come in contact with many people. His travels have made him familiar with the ways of the world and he has gained thereby a knowledge of men and their customs which he could not have acquired from text books.
In Montgomery County, Ill., Mr. Duncan led to the marriage altar Miss Sarah O. Johnston, who was born in Plainfield, Will County, Ill., in 1843, and when young removed to Montgomery County with her parents, Andrew and Laura (Maltby) Johnston, who located in Litchfield, where the husband engaged in railroad contracting. Subsequently they removed to a farm but finally went to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, where Mr. Johnston's death occurred. His widow is yet living in that State, at the age of three-score and ten. Six children grace the union of Mr. and Mrs. Duncan, of whom four are yet living: Edgar, who married Alice Simmons, is engaged in farming and stock raising in Dickinson County, Kan.; Laura B., O. Leroy and Myrtie are at home; Minnie is now deceased; and the sixth child died in infancy.
In politics Mr. Duncan is a Republican and a stalwart advocate of the party principles. Both he and his wife are members of the Methodist Church, in which he has served as Steward and Trustee. He is charitable and benevolent, a friend to the poor and needy and has lead a useful and upright life. With the history of this county he has been identified for fifty-seven years, having witnessed almost its entire growth and development and in all possible ways he has sided in its upbuilding, proving himself a worthy citizen who has the best interests of the community at heart.