JAMES H. HAMNER who has been prominent in North Otter Township, both as a successful agriculturist and as a township official, resides on section 30, where his finely improved farm is an ornament to the neighborhood. His father was the late John S. Hamner, and his mother Mary Rohrer still survives. Their home was in Morgan County, Ill., and there the father died. Two of their four children have passed from earth, and our subject is their only son now living. He was born in Morgan County, May 31, 1843, and was left an orphan by the death of his father when he was quite young. After his mother's second marriage she removed to Macoupin County, and James grew to manhood in North Palmyra Township, where he was reared upon a farm.
The lady to whom James Hamner was united in marriage March 10, 1854, bore the maiden name Nancy E. Nevins. She was a daughter of Austin and Margaret (Steel) Nevins of North Palmyra Township. Mrs. Nevins died in that township and her bereaved husband now resides in Girard. Of their seven children Mrs. Hamner was the fourth, being born August 29, 1843. They settled on section 30, North Otter Township, which they have made their home up the present day.
Our subject has through life engaged in agricultural pursuits and has made many improvements upon his farm, where he is the owner of two hundred and eighty acres. He and his excellent and amiable wife are the parents of seven children, namely: Mary E., the wife of N. H. Walkington, Amanda J., the wife of William T. Turner; Emma, who is now Mrs. Isaac Drennan; John, Effie and James H., Jr. A little one named Albert was snatched by death from the arms of the parents when he was only two years old. The offices of Highway Commissioner and School Director have been filled by our subject with credit to himself and advantage to the community which he represented. His political views are embodied in the declarations of the Democratic party and he believes that its doctrines are adapted to increase the prosperity of the country. His wife is an active member of the Christian Church and finds in its fellowship and activities an abundant field for her religious efforts.