GEORGE F. W. HARRIS, a general farmer and stock-raiser in Bunker Hill Township, has a fine farm of one hundred and sixty acres on another part of the county, besides his home farm upon which he has lived for many years.
He came to this part of the country in 1853 and took a farm of unbroken prairie, which he now has in an excellent state of cultivation and well stocked. Previous to coming to this county he had made his home in LaSalle County, this State, where he had lived upon a farm for two years. He was born in County Cork, Ireland, in 1826, and there he was reared and educated. He came to this country in the fall of 1850, and emigrated to Illinois in 1851. His parents died in Ireland.
Mr. Harris married while in the old country, being united with Miss Maria Jamison Barry. She was born and reared in the same county as himself, and her parents lived and died in the old home. Mrs. Harris came to this country with her husband in 1850. They have become the parents of eight children, four of whom have passed to the other world. The four who are living are: George F. W., who now lives on a farm in this township; Abel, Joyce J., and Sallie J. who married William Tuttle and they reside in Colorado Springs, Col. Mr. and Mrs. Harris are earnest and consistent members of the Episcopal Church. This gentleman's political views are expressed in the platform of the Republican party, and he takes a lively interest in local politics, although not a seeker for office.