SIDNEY T. HARRIS, whose pleasant residence and beautiful farm constitute one of the landmarks of section 11, North Palmyra Township, is a son of Thomas R. Harris, who was born in Virginia May 8, 1804. His mother, Eliza Fry, was a native of Fayette County of the Blue Grass State and was born there in March, 1801. This couple went to Missouri at a very early day and were there married and afterward removed from that State to Morgan County, Ill., making their home there until about the year 1851, when they came to Macoupin County and settled in North Palmyra Township. The mother of our subject died while on a visit to a brother near Jacksonville, passing away in October, 1866. Her bereaved husband who is still living, at the age of eighty-seven years, makes his home with his children. They had six children of whom our subject was the second.
Sidney T. Harris was born near Palmyra and in Marion County, Mo., February 19, 1833 and was a little fellow of only about two years when his parents removed from that State and made their home in Morgan County. There he passed his early years and took his education in the district schools which he supplemented by attendance in McKendree College one year and when about eighteen years old, came with his parents to Macoupin County, where he has since been a resident of North Palmyra Township. Farming and stock raising have fully occupied his energies with the exception of the time which he has spent in the school room, as he taught seven winters after coming to North Palmyra Township.
The marriage of our subject occurred in the township we have just named, August 2, 1865. His bride bore the maiden name of Elizabeth S. McPherson and she was a daughter of the late Alexander and Tryphena (Shelton) McPherson. Mr. McPherson was born in Muhlenberg County, Ky., in September, 1804 and his wife was born near Knoxville, Tenn., February 4, 1808. They made their early married home in Muhlenberg County, Ky., and remained there through all their wedded life. He died August 29, 1858 and his bereaved widow survived him for ten years and then passed away September 11, 1868. They had five sons and three daughters, of whom Mrs. Harris was the sixth in order of age, being born in Muhlenberg County, Ky., November 20, 1841.
Eight children bless the home of Mr. and Mrs. Harris, namely: Emma, Anna, Eunice, William S., Lucy, Thomas L., Thaddeus S. and Estella. Anna died when about eighteen months old, and William died by drowning at the age of eleven years. Mr. Harris has always been engaged in farming and stock-raising and owns two hundred and eighty acres of fine land upon which he has erected an A No. 1 set of farm buildings. For a long term of years he has satisfactorily filled the office of School Director. His political views ally him with the Republican party, and he pays an intelligent attention to political movements and public affairs. His wife who with him is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church is possessed of unusual abilities and her management of domestic affairs has aided greatly in his success. She is highly esteemed by her neighbors and is one of those women who help to make a country neighborhood what it ever should be, the scene of truly friendly intercourse and neighborly enjoyment.