CASPER J. JACOBY, a successful dealer in all kinds of furniture and undertaking goods, as well as in pianos and organs, sewing machines and wall paper, established himself in business in October, 1883, in what is known as the Johnson Block, on the west side of Washington Street in Bunker Hill, and has proven himself a practical and successful dealer. He had come to this place from Brighton, where he had received his early education and training and where he began life as a teacher, and later as a commercial traveler for a St. Louis house, which business he gave up before coming to Bunker Hill.
Our subject was born on the Mississippi River, between New Orleans and St. Louis, while his parents were emigrating from their native home and his birth occurred on Christmas Day, 1855. He is the son of Henry Jacoby, of Nassau, Germany, and comes of pure German stock. The father was apprenticed to the trade of a mason and in due time married Catherine Peiter also a native of Nassau, Germany. After the birth of five children, one of whom was called away by death, Henry Jacoby set out with his family for the United States, taking passage on a sailer from Bremen and spending seven weeks upon the water, coming to port in New Orleans. They there took a boat on the Mississippi River, with Alton as their destination, and on this trip, as we have said, out subject was born.
The family did not tarry long in Alton, but during the same year came to Macoupin County, settling near Brighton. At that time Henry Jacoby was $6 poorer than nothing and had a wife and five young children to provide for. He worked hard and saved his money and soon had a little estate of ten acres, to which he added from time to time until he owned one hundred and twenty acres, where he lived many years and made great improvements. Death came to him December 9, 1885, when he was sixty-six years old. He was a thorough Republican in his political views and in the old country was a Lutheran in religion, but after coming here united with his wife with the Methodist Episcopal Church. His faithful companion, who is still living and is now sixty-seven years old, resides at the old homestead at Brighton.
Our subject is one of eleven children of his parents, nine of whom are living and eight of them are heads of families. He was married to Miss Anna D. Lippoldt, in Bunker Hill. She was born in Jersey County, this State, April 15, 1858, and was quite young when her parents, J. G. and Henrietta (Lippoldt) Lippoldt, came to Brighton, in this county. There they lived for some time and then removed to Hilyard Township, where they now reside on a farm and are now sixty-four and sixty years of age respectively. They came to this country from Saxony, Germany, where they were born and reared.
Mrs. Jacoby received from her parents both careful training and a thorough education, and she was well fitted to take up life's work. She is now the mother of four children: Oscar K. L., Clare H. E.; Ettie F. and Edwin. Mr. and Mrs. Jacoby are members of the German Methodist Episcopal Church, in which he is a Steward and has been Sunday school Superintendent for eight years. He has two brothers, Revs. P. W. and H. C. Jacoby, who are in the ministry of this church in Missouri and the former is an elder in the St. Louis Circuit. Our subject is a member of the Blue Lodge NO. 151, of the Masonic order at Bunker Hill, and is filling the office of City Treasurer, being a man of public spirit and an earnest and zealous member of the Republican party.