MRS. ELIZABETH SHUTT, one of the most prominent, wealthy, and influential women of Virden Township, resides on section 2, where her excellent farm and pleasant home are an attractive spot to every passerby. Her business ability and true womanliness, added to her neighborly kindness and hospitality, give to her a popularity which is broad and enduring. Her father was the late Thomas Baldwin, a native of Ohio, and her mother bore the maiden name of Anna Stonebraker, and was also a native of Ohio, where she was united in marriage to Mr. Baldwin. After marriage this couple settled in Montgomery County, Ind., but early in the ‘50s they left that State and emigrated to Illinois, where they settled in Greene County, for four years. They then removed to Sangamon County, where they spent the remainder of their earthly career.
Elizabeth Baldwin was the third child in a family of five sons and five daughters, and was born in Montgomery County, Ind., July 21, 1834. She came to Illinois with her parents and here met the gentleman to whom she was afterward united in marriage. She was married in Carlinville, Ill., April 10, 1856, to John H. Shutt, a son of Jacob and Elizabeth (Wagner) Shutt, who were married in Kentucky, and emigrated to Illinois, settling in Sangamon County. They made their home in Sangamon County until the death of Jacob Shutt, and somewhat later his bereaved widow passed away while visiting a daughter in Virden.
John H. Shutt was born in Kentucky, January 29, 1822, and was seven years old when his parents emigrated to Illinois. Being so young at that time he called himself a thorough Illinoisan, as he here received his education and training for life's duties. After his marriage he resided for several months in Sangamon County, and then removed to Macoupin County, making his home where his widow now resides, on section 2, Virden Township. Here he was actively engaged in farming until his death, which occurred April 1, 1872.
Mrs. Shutt is the mother of seven children, all of whom are living and have taken their places with credit in the community. They are as follows: Eliza A., who is the wife of John A. Lorton; William A.; George W., who took to wife Effie Huston; Elizabeth J., who is the wife of Calvin E. Stowe; John F., who married Miss Martha J. Woodman; Sarah F., who is the wife of Henry Knoll, and Thomas J.
This estimable lady, is, with the assistance of her unmarried sons, carrying on the farm to the best advantage, and she has kept it in excellent condition since it has come into her hands. Upon it she has a fine set of farm buildings. Her home is delightful, and within its walls she exercises the graces of hospitality. The barns and outbuildings are finely adapted to farm purposes and her stock is in a good condition and well cared for. Her sons are carrying out well the fine reputation which was left them as a heritage by their father, a reputation for integrity, fair dealing, and reliability.