LEANDER S. THACKER. The good influence of any family in a community is greatly increased by its prolonged residence therein. Generation after generation of honorable living and thorough, enterprising work brings a cumulative force to bear which emphasizes every good point in the character and life work of a family. Illinois has been so young a State as to have little of this wealth of influence, but in Macoupin County we occasionally find a family homestead which has been occupied for two generations and there we are sure to discern the effects of such occupancy. This is the case at the Thacker homestead, which is now occupied by the gentleman whose name appears at the head of this sketch.
Z. Thacker, the honored father of our subject, is more fully sketched on another page of this RECORD. his son Leander is a native of Macoupin County, having been born near Palmyra, March 21, 1849. he was four years old when his father removed to Nilwood Township, where he received his early training and education taking full advantage of the district school instruction, after which in 1870 he entered Shurtleff College.
Our subject grew to manhood in Nilwood Township and since his fourth year has made it his home, with the exception of two years which he spent in Franklin County, Kan., where he went in 1881. He has always followed agricultural pursuits and now owns the old homestead, which consists of three hundred and twenty broad and productive acres, which bear upon their surface an attractive home and neat and convenient buildings for the accommodation of the farm work and stock.
The married life of Mr. Thacker began February 10, 1875, with his marriage to Miss Mary J. Crane at her home in Nilwood Township. She made him an affectionate and helpful wife during the short time which was given them together and she died at their home September 1, 1879. One child blessed their union, to whom they gave the name of James O., but he too was soon taken away from the home, being called hence when two and one-half years old. The second marital union of this gentleman took place February 17, 1881, at the home of the bride in Montgomery County, Ill. The lady who then became Mrs. Thacker was Miss Edna A. Thompson, who was born in Dowagiac, Cass County, Mich., July 10, 1856.
They have had three children. His daughter, Amy E., lived to be seven years old and was then taken from him. Those living are Leroy H. and a babe named Walter Clyde. In this quiet home harmony prevails and the lives of its occupants are good examples of the best kind of country life.
Mr. Thacker was for one year in the office of Township Clerk and he has ever been interested in political affairs and helpful in forwarding the prosperity of the Republican party, to which he is ardently attached. Both he and his good wife are earnest and active in religious work and are conscientious and devoted members of the Baptist Church.