JAMES S. THOMPSON. Among the reputable men who in the conduct of business matters and the duties belonging to the various relations of life have acquired a worthy name, mention should be made of Mr. Thompson who is now the Superintendent of the Macoupin County Alms House, which is located on section 16, Carlinville Township. He was born in Wayne County, Ill., September 5, 1838 and there spent his boyhood days until 1854 when he started out in life for himself, coming to Scottsville this county where for one year he lived with his brother, L. J. Thompson.
The marriage of our subject with Miss Rhoda J. Conlee took place in Palmyra Township, this county, March 31, 1858. This lady was born in the township where she was married on December 22, 1837, and there she grew to womanhood, receiving educational and domestic training. The first wedded home of this young couple was in South Otter Township, where they rented land and lived for a year, and then removed to South Palmyra township, which continued to be their home until 1865. During their residence there Mr. Thompson was for three years engaged in the sawmill business and during the remainder of the time carried on farming.
Our subject was now filled with a desire to go farther West and see more of pioneer life, and selling his property he removed to Johnson County, Neb., where he homesteaded and farmed for a year only when he felt satisfied to return to Macoupin County and make his home in Girard, where he acted as engineer for something over a year. For ten years he then lived in South Palmyra Township, and again he sold his property and bought one hundred acres in South Otter Township, and four years later disposed of that and bought a farm of ninety-five acres in South Palmyra Township which he now has in the hands of a tenant.
The appointment as Superintendent of the Macoupin County Alms House, was made in March, 1888, and Mr. Thompson has since filled that position with great credit to himself and satisfaction to the people. This institution is calculated to accommodate about one hundred inmates and while it is conducted on business principles, kindly care is given to the unfortunate inmates by both the Superintendent and his estimable wife. Eight living children form the family of Mr. and Mrs. Thompson, namely: Alice S. wife of J. E. Bacon; Thomas M. married Miss Martha Little; Clara B., Mrs. John W. Kidd; James S. Jr.; George A.; Amelia J. wife of Douglas Davidson; Olive M., and William R. M. They have also laid to rest three children, John M., Mary M. and Franklin E.
Mr. Thompson has held the office of Road Overseer of South Palmyra Township, and also that of Highway Commissioner for several years. For four years he was Road Overseer in South Otter Township, and has ever taken an active part in political affairs, being an ardent Democrat. Both he and his good wife are devoted members of the Baptist Church.