CHARLES TOWSE, a resident of Bird Township and a brother of the Hon. W. A. Towse, is a son of Simpson Towse, an Englishman from Yorkshire. The mother of these gentlemen was Ann Kettlewood, who was also a native of the same shire, where she was born in 1799. When they emigrated to America in 1850 they first made their home in Oriskany, N.Y., where they lived about two years and in 1853 came to Illinois and settled in Macoupin County. They lived in Chesterfield and Bird Townships. Mrs. Towse was bereaved of her husband in the fall of 1865 and she lived until January 14, 1886, when her days ended in Western Mound Township. They had a fine family of nine children who were born in England, seven sons and two daughters. The subject of this sketch was the sixth in order of age. His birth took place in Yorkshire, England, February 24, 1834.
Charles Towse passed his boyhood days on a farm in Yorkshire, and came with his parents to America. He continued with them until he married in Macoupin County, when he made his home in this county and resided here from that day to this. He has always followed agricultural pursuits and now owns three hundred and ninety acres. Upon this property is erected an attractive and commodious home and good farm buildings, including large barns.
February 22, 1859, was the wedding day of Mr. Towse and Miss Louisa Dews, a daughter of John and Sylvia (Morris) Dews. The marriage took place in Western Mound Township where the bride resided. The father was born in Yorkshire, England, and the mother was also a native of that Island. They both came to this country when young and were married in Alton, Ill. They made their home in Western Mound Township for many years and there Mr. Dews passed away from earth. His widow who survives is making her home with her children by whom she is truly honored and cherished.
Of a large family of nine children, Mrs. Towse was the second. She was born in Western Mound Township, December 9, 1840. The first home of this young wedded couple was in that township. After a residence there of seven years they came to Bird Township, where they have since resided. Seven children crown this union, namely: Selina A., Albert W., John D., Annette, Lillie M., Abiah S. and Annie E. Selina is now the wife of William E. Haley, and Annette is Mrs. Leonard E. Leach, while Albert has married Miss Ella M. Hunter. The father of this family has ever taken a deep interest in educational matters and is now serving on the School Board. He has always actively promoted all efforts to improve the district schools. His political views and his vote are with the Republican party. Both he and his good wife are earnest and efficient members of the Methodist Episcopal Church and they have ever contributed liberally in all church affairs.