HON. WATSON A. TOWSE, who resides on section 2, Polk Township, is one of the prominent and honored residents of Macoupin County. For the history of his parents and ancestry the reader will kindly consult the sketch of his brother, Charles Towse, which appears in this RECORD. This son was the youngest of his father's family and was born in Yorkshire, England, November 2, 1843. He was but a little lad of seven years when his parents emigrated to America and he was nine years old when he made his entrance into this country. Here he grew to manhood and became one of the favorite sons of that section.
Like many another adopted son of America, young Towse sprang to the help of the Union flag when it was assailed, and enlisted October 27, 1861, in Company C, Thirty-second Illinois Infantry. He served three years under the stars and stripes, and took active part in the following engagements: Pittsburg Landing, siege of Corinth, siege of Vicksburg and Atlanta. At Pittsburg Landing he was severely wounded in the left knee. At Vicksburg he received in his left arm a bullet which still remains. At Nickajack, Ga., he was wounded by a shell in the left hip. He was detailed for quite a long time as Ward Master in the Overton Hospital in Memphis, Tenn. When he was mustered out of the service he returned to his old home in Bird Township.
Experience in the field of war, only made this young hero appreciate more keenly the joys of home life, and he now decided to establish a home of his own. He chose as his wife Miss Ann Morfoot, daughter of Richard and Isabella Morfoot, both natives of Yorkshire, England, in which section of the British Isles the lady herself was born. The marriage took place on May 27, 1867. After marriage the young couple made their home on section 2, Polk Township, where they have ever since continued in the pursuit of agriculture, making permanent and valuable improvements on the farm.
Mr. Towse had always been truly interested in State as well as local political movements and has cultivated a broad outlook upon the affairs of the State and Nation. He had often been called to serve in local offices of trust and in the fall of 1888 he was elected to the Illinois State Legislature, where he served for the full term. He has held the office of Supervisor of Polk Township, for several years, being Chairman of the County Board of Supervisors for two terms; also Justice of the Peace, which office he still holds. He has also acted as Assessor and Collector, and ever since leaving the Army has taken an active part in political affairs, being a member of the Republican party and having for some time belonged to the County Central Committee of that party. He is identified with the Grand Army of the Republic and is also a member of the Farmer's Mutual Benefit Association. He is wide awake to the necessity of promoting the interests of the farming community and takes great pride in his farm of one hundred and sixty acres. Take him all in all he is one of the most thoroughly representative men of Macoupin County and with his intelligent and amiable wife is a power in the community. They are earnest and active members of the Methodist Episcopal Church in which he has filled important offices.