CARL H. UHLER. The editor of a newspaper generally becomes well known in his community, particularly if the sheet he controls has a special aim and appeals to the people on a ground not occupied by many others. Wherever the paper goes the people are interested in knowing something of the man who is the "power behind the throne" and whose mind and character are stamped upon its pages. The subject of this biographical notice is the editor and publisher of the Macoupin County Advance, the office of which is in Bunker Hill. The paper was established in August, 1888, and Mr. Uhler assumed his present position after the issuance of the first number. It is a six-column quarto paper and has a large circulation in Macoupin, Jersey and Madison Counties. It is the only Prohibition organ in Southwestern Illinois, and while dealing with the liquor question more particularly, it advocates reforms of all kinds and to some extent favors the movement of the Farmers Mutual Benefit Association. The Advance office is supplied with machinery and type for all kinds of job work, and Mr. Uhler is a practical printer and pressman, so that he is capable of sending out first class work of the various kinds that are called for.
As preliminary to the sketch of his own life, it may be well to give some notes regarding the progenitors of Mr. Uhler. His grandfather was Erasmus Uhler, Jr., who was born in Baltimore, MD in 1786, and carried on a large sugar refinery and tannery. He owned a number of slaves. In 1836 he failed in business and came West, dying at Rainsville, Ind., in February, 1852. His wife was Catherine Hoffman, who was born at Boonesboro, Md., in December, 1796, and died at Danville, Ill., in October, 1856. The father of Erasmus Uhler, Jr., was born in Babaria, Germany, 1751, and died in Baltimore in 1814. His family consisted of one son and four daughters.
The son, John G., was born in Baltimore, January 26, 1824, and had not entered his teens when he came West with his father's family. He was son after apprenticed to a cabinet maker and thoroughly learned the trade. In 1854 he removed to Danville, this State, and later to North Fork and Middleport, finally settling in Tuscola in 1863. There he made his home until his death, May 27, 1884. He was at that time a prominent figure in local Republican politics and held the office of Chief Patriarch of Tuscola Encampment, I.O.O.F., at the time of his death, having been a charter member of the order in that city. The leading architect and builder of that city his skill is attested by many buildings that stand in that place.
In May, 1852, John G. Uhler was married at Rainsville, Ind., to Martha G. Murdock, who survives him and is now a resident of Oakland, Ill. She was born on Wea Plains, Ind., April 27, 1833. Her parents were John and Jane (Sterling) Murdock. The family on the paternal side is of Scotch extraction and traces its ancestry in direct line to Robert II of Scotland, through whom they are connected with the royal family of Stuarts. To Mr. and Mrs. Uhler six children were born, three of whom are still living, Carl H. being the eldest. Blanche E., five years younger, is a school teacher at Oakland this State, and Clarence E., who is nine years younger than Carl, is editor of the Pilot, a Republican journal at Oakland.
Carl H. Uhler was born in Danville, this State, May 1, 1856, but was reared at Tuscola and educated in the public schools. During his boyhood he worked with his father and acquired a thorough knowledge of carpentry and joining. He also spent several years in a drug store and passed through various other experiences usual to the life of a youth in a small Western town. In 1876 he entered the office of the Tuscola Review as "devil" and after working there a year found employment on the Saturday Journal in the same place. He ran the gamut of newspaper work and graduated, typographically, in 1881. Soon after he engaged with Cyrus A. Cook in the publication of a small evening paper at Terre Haute, Ind.
The venture did not prove successful and in the fall of the same year Mr. Uhler was occupying the city editor's desk in the office of the Illinois State Journal at Springfield. In this position he also reported the proceedings of the important special apportionment session of the legislature in 1882. His health broke down under the strain of seventeen to eighteen hours work a day, and he accepted a position as a special correspondent for the Odd Fellows Herald of Springfield, and while acting in that capacity visited many of the Odd Fellows' Lodges of Illinois, among others that at Bunker Hill. Mr. Uhler next assumed the editorship of the Independent which he held for a year, after which he bought the Tolono Herald. He had conducted that sheet but a few months when he was offered a remunerative position on a Cincinnati journal and for two years he was the editor of the Cincinnati Furniture Worker, a leading trades journal.
In the fall of 1885 Mr. Uhler returned to this State and for a few months was engaged as City Editor of the Canton Register from which he resigned in March, 1886, to lease the Monticello Bulletin. For a year he conducted that paper with marked success, but, being unable to renew his lease he accepted a position on the Sullivan News which he occupied until the spring of 1888. He then obtained a lease of the Macoupin County Advance and in August removed to Bunker Hill. He has been more successful in his work here than he anticipated, and is receiving the hearty support of the Prohibitionists and that of the others who are interested in knowing how the movement progresses and understanding both sides of that as well as other questions. Mr. Uhler is what might be called a good, all-round newspaper man, having had sufficient experience in the different departments to know what is needed, and the ability to see that the need is supplied. In the editorial work of the paper he is aided by Prof. Stiver, but the responsibility of the business rests upon his own shoulders.
White living in Cincinnati Mr. Uhler was married to Miss Sarah A. Hall of Sullivan, this State. She was born in Edgewood, April 11, 1859, and is the daughter of Edwin and Mary (Clarke) Hall, both of whom are of English decent but natives of New York. The marriage of her parents took place October 4, 1854, and their family includes Eliza, wife of S. F. Balcom, a civil engineer in the employ of the Chicago, Cincinnati, Columbus & St. Louis Railroad, located at Mt. Carmel; Joseph C., who is engaged in the transfer department of the Illinois Central Railroad at Cairo; Sarah A., wife of our subject; Ed J. clerk of the freight department of the Illinois Central Railroad at Cairo; Sam B. a jeweler at Sullivan. Joseph C. is the only married son. Mr. Hall was born at Burnt Hills, Saratoga County, N.Y., October 10, 1830, and his father was Dr. Joseph Hall. His present home is in Sullivan this State. His wife died at Sullivan June 14, 1888. Her father was Joshua Clarke, a leading architect of Cohoes, N.Y. The Clarkes have been a well-known family in Westerly, now Richmond, R.I., since the death of their earliest recorded ancestor, Samuel Clarke, in 1680.
Mrs. Uhler was educated mainly in Sullivan and is a graduate of the High School. She is a woman of bright mind, pleasing address and Christian character, her membership being in the Methodist Episcopal Church. To her and her husband two children have been born Mary E. at Sullivan, May 16, 1886, and Clark Murdock at Bunker Hill, January 19, 1891.
Mr. Uhler is not an office-seeking politician, but is an earnest adherent of the Prohibition party and an ardent worker in its interest. That he is enterprising and alive to the prospects of the day is proved by the way in which he carries on his business.