WILLIAM WHEELER, of Bird Township, is a son of John Wheeler, whose biographical sketch is found elsewhere in this Record. This son was born in Rush County, Ind., April 15, 1833, and he was an infant of six months only when his father removed to Greene County, and one year later when he came to Macoupin County, and made his home in Bird Township. Here he grew to manhood and here he has always made his home.
His marriage took place in Western Mound Township, in February, 1856. His bride was Mary J. Lee. Her parents were Obediah W. and Rebecca T. (Sullivan) Lee. Mr. Lee was a native of North Carolina, and Mrs. Lee was born in Tennessee. There they spent their early married life and came thence to Illinois in the winter of 1830-31 and made their first home in Jefferson County, this State. Thence they removed to Greene County, and afterward to Macoupin County, where the father died in Western Mound Township. Mrs. Wheeler is the fourth in a family of twelve children. She was born in Greene County, this State, September 21, 1834.
Mr. and Mrs. Wheeler are the happy parents of six living children, namely: Jasper W., who married Emma Loveless; Arthur C., who married Miss Dora F. Jackson; John, Mary E., the wife of Allen Bar, Alvin L., and Ollie L. E. Two of their children have passed before them to the better world: Lydia M., who died when a beautiful young lady of nineteen years and Edgar E., who was snatched from their arms at the tender age of five years.
Mr. Wheeler's interest in educational affairs, has been shown in his efficient service as School Director and School Trustee. His political belief is embodied in the platform of the Democratic party, and he takes an active part in local politics. Both he and his good wife are earnest and zealous members of the Shiloh Baptist Church. Here he has filled the office of Trustee and also that of Deacon. He is a member of the Chesterfield Farmers Mutual Fire Insurance Company and is ever awake to the interests of the farming community as he has followed agricultural pursuits all his life. His home farm consists of seven hundred and twenty-four acres of rich and productive soil, two hundred and sixty-two of which lie in Bird Township. Upon these he has erected a handsome residence and excellent farm buildings, and the whole property shows by its neat appearance that it belongs to an enterprising and thorough farmer.