WILLIAM ANDERSON, one of the successful farmers, prominent citizens and self made men of Macoupin County, residing on his finely improved farm of 240 acres, situated in section 5, Cahokia township, was born February 14, 1832, in Putnam County, Indiana, and is a son of Thomas and Mary (Scott) Anderson.
Thomas Anderson was the oldest son of James Anderson, a native of Virginia, who removed to Indiana, took part in the Black Hawk War, followed farming and died aged 80 years. Thomas was born in Tennessee, accompanied his parents to Indiana in boyhood, lived there until 1834, when he came among the pioneers to Macoupin County, where he died aged 35 years, having entered 160 acres of land in Honey Point township. He married Mary Scott, who was a daughter of Robert Scott, a pioneer of 1833, and their four children were: William; James M., of Terre Haute, Indiana; Jesse F., of Portland, Oregon; and Joseph M., who died three years since in Missouri.
William Anderson became a resident of Macoupin County at the age of two years, coming here with his parents in the spring of 1834, and has resided on his present farm since 1874. Mr. Anderson's earliest recollections of the neighborhood are of miles of uncultivated prairie land, lonely and unsettled, with few roads, school houses or churches, and with almost no chance for a boy, orphaned at the age of 10 years, to make his way except through the hardest kind of farm work. He found employment first on farms and later in sawmills, working for nine years in mills on Honey Creek. He then bought 80 acres of land which was the beginning of a very successful agricultural career, soon after becoming the owner of 100 acres in section 35, Brushy Mound township. This farm he improved and occupied 19 years. He now owns 240 acres in Cahokia township, and 40 acres in section 20, Honey Point township. This property has been finely improved, substantial buildings erected and orchards set out, all by Mr. Anderson's own thrift and industry. He has devoted much attention to the raising of high grade cattle and stock and has realized an ample fortune by his good management. Although practically retired, he still enjoys overlooking the various improvements under way and in recalling the changes which have taken place as the result of his enterprise and perseverance.
In 1856 Mr. Anderson married Lydia J. Huddleston, who was born in Brushy Mount township, Macoupin County, Illinois, and they have six children, viz: John, of Honey Point township, macoupin County, who has one child - Edna; Samuel, of Cahokia township, who has four children - Hazel, Audrey, George and Owen; Clara, who is the home housekeeper; William Luther, of Montgomery County, Illinois, who has seven children; Mrs. Ida McReynolds, of Honey Point township, Macoupin County, who has three children - William H., John M. and May; and Charles, the home farmer, who married Tena Walschleger.
Politically Mr. Anderson upholds the principles of the Populist party. He has most capably held a number of township offices and for 252 years was a school director. He was a friend of the Grange movement and for a number of years was master of the local body. He is a member of the United Baptist Church.