E. Alfred Bleuler, M.D., who stands in the front rank among the most successful practitioners of medicine in Macoupin County, has been a resident of Carlinville almost from the beginning of his professional career. He was born in Zanesville, Ohio, May 25, 1856, and is a son of Charles and Matilda (Mickel) Bleuler. His father was a native of Switzerland, and his mother of Germany.
Charles Bleuler, father of our subject, came to America in 1845 and settled in New York City where he followed his business as an expert engraver, being employed by the United States government in the engraving of bonds and contracts. He removed to Philadelphia in 1847. Later he returned to New York City and in 1849, with many others, he started for California, going by sailing vessel around Cape Horn to San Francisco, the trip consuming 179 days. After reaching his destination he engaged in gold mining in the placer regions for several years, then returned East by the Isthmus of Panama route, coming up the Mississippi River from New Orleans to St. Louis, where he arrived in 1852 during the prevalence of cholera and soon after went by boat to Cincinnati where he remained for five months. He was married at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in 1855, and after remaining there a short time the young couple removed to Zanesville, Ohio, near which town he purchased a tract of land. He followed farming there for a period of three years and in 1858 sold out and moved to Quincy, Illinois. He shortly after removed to Jacksonville, Illinois, where he became professor of German and French in the Illinois and Bethany College, being very proficient in those languages. In 1860 he bought a large tract of land in Morgan County, Illinois, on which he lived during the following 20 years, finally returning in 1880, to Jacksonville to spend the remaining years of his life in retirement. He died February 18, 1901, at the ripe old age of 89 years.
E. Alfred Bleuler attended the public schools, Illinois College and the Jacksonville Business College, during which time he also read medicine. He matriculated in Rush Medical College, Chicago, in 1882, and subsequently was graduated from the St. Louis Medical College. In 1898 he located in Carlinville, where he has since been continuously engaged in practice. He made special study of diseases of the ear, throat and nose, taking a post-graduate course in Berlin and Vienna in 1902, and makes a specialty of these branches. He has met with a high degree of success, and enjoys the confidence and highest respect of his fellow citizens and brother practitioners. He is a member of the Macoupin County Medical Society, the State Medical Society, and the American Medical Association. he is assistant surgeon for the Chicago & Alton Railway Company, and examining physician for the Federal Life Insurance Company and several fraternal insurance companies.