JOHN CRITTENDEN ANDERSON. The descendants of the early settlers take just pride in the noble work accomplished by their parents and there are some families in Macoupin county that can claim several generations of residence in this section. In the number is the Anderson family, the early members of which arrived in this region in the opening years of the nineteenth century and during all the period that has elapsed men and women of this worthy pioneer stock have contributed their share toward the development of the county.
John Crittenden Anderson, who represents the third generation of the family in Macoupin county, was born in Shaws Point township July 1, 1867. He is a son of William C. and Mary A. (Anderson) Anderson, both of whom were born in Carlinville township. The grandfathers of our subject were William C. Anderson and James C. Anderson, both of whom were natives of Kentucky. The father was born in 1828 on a farm where Carlinville now stands and his father, who also bore the name of William C. Anderson, was the first blacksmith of Macoupin county and also one of the first settlers. The father was left an orphan at the age of fourteen and was reared by an uncle, H. Edwards, with whom he continued until nineteen years of age. He was married to Mary A. Anderson in 1855 and they took up their home in Shaws Point township where the father engaged in farming for forty-five years. He died in 1900, having attained a position as one of the substantial men of the township. In politics he was an adherent of the democratic party. He never aspired to public office but served very acceptably as school director in his district.
John C. Anderson attended the district schools of Shaws Point township and continued under the parental roof until after arriving at manhood. He assisted his father on the home farm from 1886 to 1888 and then associated with his brother, Henry M., in cultivating land in Nilwood township. In 1890 he returned to the home place but a year later moved to South Otter township and established his home on a farm of one hundred and eighty-one and one-half acres, which is now one of the well cultivated and highly productive properties of the township. He has made a specialty of feeding cattle for the market and sells a number each year, thus adding to his income. He is also interested in the banking business and is vice president of the Nilwood State Bank, one of the well established institutions of this part of the county.
On December 3, 1891, Mr. Anderson was married in Nilwood township to Miss Melissa A. Fite, a native of Montgomery county, Illinois. She is a daughter of William C. and Rebecca (Kountz) Fite, the former of whom was born in Tennessee and the latter in Virginia. Her grandfathers, Alius Fite and Elias Kountz, were both born in Virginia. Mr. and Mrs. Anderson are the parents of three children, William Coy, Almyr Orin and Estelle Crittenden.
Mr. Anderson is identified with Nilwood Lodge, No. 3600, M.W.A., and has served as its advisor. He is also a member of the local branch, No. 223, of the United Horse Thief Association, and the confidence in which he is held by his neighbors and friends is indicated by the fact that he has served as secretary of this organization ever since it was established. Politically he adheres to the democratic party and has served as highway commissioner for six years, also for three years as a member of the school board. He is a man of high character and, starting in life with worthy ideals, has lived to witness their realization. He possesses the respect of a large circle of friends and acquaintances who admire him for his attractive personal qualities.