M. M. BROWN. A well cultivated farm of two hundred acres on section 7, Bunker Hill township, is a credit to the efforts of M. M. Brown, whose birth occurred on a farm across the road from his homestead on the 15th of October, 1861. He is a son of Daniel and Sarah (Olmstead) Brown, natives of New York, where they were reared and married. In the early days of their domestic life they migrated to Illinois with a wagon and ox team, being among the pioneer settlers. The father preempted some government land, which he immediately began to break, making such improvements upon it as he could from time to time. He had one dollar and twenty-five cents when he settled in Macoupin county but became one of the most extensive landowners and successful agriculturists in Bunker Hill township. His holdings aggregated five hundred acres at the time of his demise, all of which was in a high state of cultivation. He built a comfortable brick residence on his homestead, one of the most valuable and attractive properties in the community. Here he engaged in general farming and stock-raising, both pursuits proving very lucrative. He passed away on the 27th of May, 1872, and was laid to rest in Bunker Hill cemetery as was also his wife. To Mr. and Mrs. Brown were born four sons and five daughters: Stephen Henry, a resident of Benton county, Arkansas; Huldah C., the wife of Frank Hamilton, of Cedarvale, Kansas; M. M., our subject; and Charlotte, Jennie, Martin, Martha, Zelma and Kate, all of whom are deceased.
M. M. Brown was reared on the farm where he was born and when he had become old enough entered the district school where he obtained his elementary education. Later this was supplemented by a course in the academy at Bunker Hill. After finishing his education he assisted his mother in the cultivation of their large homestead until he was twenty-four years of age. He then removed to his present farm, where he has ever since resided. Mr. Brown is a capable agriculturist and business man and has met with pronounced success in his undertakings. In connection with the cultivation of his fields he raises stock.
In 1885 Mr. Brown established a home for himself by his marriage to Miss Hattie Sewell and they have become the parents of four children: Marshall, who is running an automobile garage at Cairo, Illinois; Halton, Elmo and Vivian, all of whom are at home.
The family affiliates with the Congregational church, of which the parents are both members, and fraternally Mr. Brown is identified with the Modern Woodmen of America. His political support is given to the democratic party. He is one of the progressive and enterprising agriculturists of Bunker Hill township to the interests of which eh has ever been loyal, giving his support and cooperation to every movement that will advance its development.