JAMES HENRY DAVIS, M.D.. Dr. James Henry Davis, a successful and able representative of the medical fraternity in Macoupin county, has practiced his profession at Carlinville for the past six years. His birth occurred at Shaws Point, this county, on the 11th of November, 1872, his parents being James F. and Laura (Morrison) Davis, the former a native of Loami, Illinois, and the latter of Tiffin, Ohio. Elijah Davis, the paternal grandfather, was a native of Kentucky. Being opposed to slavery, he came to Illinois and took up his abode among the earliest settlers of Loami. A year later he came to Macoupin county, entering land from the government . More extended mention of him is made on another page of this work in connection with the sketch of Alfred Mayfield. Unto him and his wife were born the following children, namely: Jonathan, John, Abraham, James, Elizabeth, Eliza, Louan, Verlena, Julia and Lourena. James Morrison, the maternal grandfather of our subject, was a native of Pennsylvania and devoted his attention principally to farming, but also conducted a hotel and followed general merchandising. His wife bore the maiden name of Rachel Evans. They removed from Tiffin, Ohio, to Montgomery county, Illinois, and Mr. Morrison spent his last years at Virden, where he passed away at the age of eighty-six. His wife also lived to attain a ripe old age, dying while on a visit to her daughter in Virden. They were the parents of the following children: Walter, Henry, Sidney, Theodore, Mary, Caroline, Kate, Melissa, Laura and several who died in early life.
James F. Davis, the father of Dr. Davis, was brought to this county by his parents when about six weeks old and here continued to reside until the time of his death. He became an agriculturist in Shaws Point township, owning and improving a tract of four hundred acres of land. His demise occurred on the home farm on the 8th of June, 1896, when he had attained the age of sixty-two years. He held various township offices and was a devoted and consistent member of the Christian church, to which his widow also belongs. The latter now makes her home with out subject. She has one other son, Jonathan S., who follows farming near Atwater.
James Henry Davis was reared on his father's farm in Shaws Point township and obtained his early education in the district schools. When a youth of fourteen he entered Eureka College and subsequently began the study of medicine and surgery in the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, remaining in that institution for two years. During the following two years he attended the Northwestern University Medical School at Chicago and was graduated from that institution in 1897. Subsequently he took a course of hospital work in the Chicago Lying-in Hospital and the Colorado Fuel & Iron Company Hospital at Pueblo and then located for practice at Trinidad, Colorado. Going to London, England, he spent three months in the Great Ormond Street Hospital for Sick Children and later devoted sixteen months to work in a general hospital at Vienna, Austria. In 1905 he returned to the United States and opened an office at Carlinville, Illinois, which town has since remained the scene of his professional labors. He keeps in touch with the advancement that is being constantly made by the profession through his membership in the Macoupin County Medical Society, the Illinois Medical Society and the American Medical Association.
On the 30th of September, 1908, Dr. Davis was untied in marriage to Miss Olive Gertrude Wilson, a native of Honey Point township, Macoupin county, and a daughter of John and Emma (Barnett) Wilson. They now have one son, James Wilson Davis. Dr. Davis gives his political allegiance to the republican party, while his religious faith is indicated by his membership in the Christian Church, to which his wife also belongs. Fraternally he is identified with the Masons, belonging to Mount Nebo Lodge, No. 76, A.F. & A.M. He is also a member fo the Knights of Pythias and the Phi Rho Sigma, a college fraternity of Chicago. Both Dr. and Mrs. Davis enjoy an extensive and favorable acquaintance within the border of their native county.