HISTORY OF MACOUPIN COUNTY, ILLINOIS
1911

Chicago: S.J. Clarke Publishing Company

Page 713

HENRY G. FAUSLER, who has for many years been interested in farming in Barr township and also served ably as cashier of the Bank of Hettick, is a native of this township. He was born on April 4, 1859, a son of E. and Amanda (Ring) Fausler, both of whom were natives of Sullivan county, Tennessee, the former having been born October 12, 1828. The original ancestors of the family in America came from Germany and his son, the grandfather of our subject was killed by a horse, leaving a widow with several children, the eldest of whom was the father of our subject. As he grew toward manhood he assisted his mother in providing for the younger members of the family. He served in the Mexican war, receiving his honorable discharge before he was twenty years of age. In 1848 he came to Macoupin county, Illinois, and took up his residence upon land on which his Henry G. now lives. In 1864 Mr. Fausler purchased land in this county, upon which he moved in 1873, having previously cultivated rented property. He was very successful as a farmer and stock raiser and acquired five hundred acres of good land in Macoupin county. He was a large feeder of cattle and also devoted special attention to raising Poland China hogs. He died at the old homestead April 27, 1896, having arrived at the age of sixty-eight years. Politically, he adhered to the democratic party; religiously, he was a stanch supporter of the Methodist faith. He took an active interest in township affairs and served as highway commissioner. Socially he was identified with Scottville Lodge, No. 426, A.F. & A.M.

The fifth in order of birth in a family of ten children, Henry G. Fausler grew to maturity in the parental home. He received a good education in the public schools of Palmyra and for three years taught school in this county. His principal interest, however, has been centered upon agriculture and stock raising and as a young man he concentrated his energy along those lines, becoming the owner of a farm of one hundred and forty-four acres, upon which he moved in 1895. On October 1, 1907, he was elected cashier of the Bank of Hettick and took up his residence there, where he continued for three years in the discharge of his duties in connection with the bank. In 1910 he returned to his farm and is giving his attention to general farming, making a specialty of Polled Angus cattle and Poland China hogs. He feeds about a carload of cattle for the market each year and his business yields a handsome annual revenue.

On September 23, 1883, Mr. Fausler was married to Miss Hattie A. Bell, a daughter of Stephen and Mary (Dalby) Bell. On the paternal side the family has been traced to Virginia, where the name is well known. The Dalbys were among the old settlers of macoupin county. Of the children of Mr. and Mrs. Fausler five are now living: Edith, who was educated at the high school of Palmyra and is now living at home; and Lloyd, Harold, Lelia and Stephen, all of whom are at home.

In politics. Mr. Fausler adheres to the democratic party. He has served as township assessor three terms and also for several terms as township clerk. He is a member of the Methodist church and also fo the lodge of Modern Woodmen of America at Barr. For more than fifty years he has made his home in this section and during that time has witnessed many steps of the great change through which the wilderness has been conquered and the comforts and conveniences of modern life have been introduced. His attention has been mainly given to farming and in his business he has met with the success that is the deserved result of good judgment and earnest application.


1911 Index
MAGA © 2000-2014. In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the Internet, data and images may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or for other presentation without express permission by the contributor(s).