WILLIAM R. GRAHAM. One of the oldest commercial vocations of Carlinville is the drug business now being conducted by William R. Graham. He represents the third generation of his family to have been identified with this enterprise, which was originally established by his grandfather, Milo Graham, sixty years ago.
William R. Graham was born in Carlinville in October, 1877, and is a son of the late William D. and Mary (Rice) Graham, also natives of Macoupin county, the father having for many years been identified with the business now conducted by the son. To Dr. and Mrs. William D. Graham were born three children, of whom our subject is the youngest, the others being Florence, who became the wife of Howard O. Tally, and Frank, who passed away on the 30th of January, 1905. Dr. Graham is also deceased, his death occurring on the 16th of November, 1906, but his wife is still living and continues to make her home in Carlinville.
Almost the entire period of the life of William R. Graham has been spent amid the scenes made familiar during the days of his boyhood and youth. He was reared in Carlinville and pursued his education in the public schools of this city. After completing his high school course he went to the State University at Chicago and matriculated in the pharmacy department, being graduated from this institution in the class of 1900, two years subsequent to his entrance. Immediately thereafter he returned to Carlinville and engaged in business with his father, who had purchased the interest of his former partner, A. M. Boring, in order to create a place for his son. They were associated together until the father's death, since which time Mr. Graham has been conducting the business alone. He has a most attractive store, modern in all of its appointments and containing a large and well assorted stock of drugs and sundries. The policy inaugurated when the business was established and maintained throughout the period of its existence, has resulted in the firm having acquired a reputation for unqualified trustworthiness and reliability, that has enabled them to build up a large and permanent patronage among a most desirable class of people.
Mr. Graham was married in February, 1895, to Miss Louise J. Graves, a daughter of Edmund Decalvis and Amanda (Carrico) Graves. The parents were both natives of Kentucky, in which state Mrs. Graham's birth occurred in February, 1876. The father engaged in farming in the Blue Grass state until his death in 1885. Soon thereafter his widow and family came to Macoupin county, locating in Girard, where they remained for four years, when they removed to Springfield. There, the mother, who is now sixty-six still makes her home. Mr. and Mrs. Graham have two daughters: Irene, who is fifteen and Susan Louise, who is eleven years of age. The family, very happy in their home life, live at 404 East Second South street, where Mr. Graham owns his own residence.
They attend the Baptist church, of which both Mr. and Mrs. Graham are members, and he fraternally is identified with the Knights of Pythias. His political rights he exercises in support of the men and measures of the republican party, and is now serving as a member of the board of education of Carlinville. Mr. Graham has established a record for business integrity and personal worth that fully entitles him to the esteem he is accorded in the community where his family has been held in the highest respect for over sixty years.