GEORGE WATSON GROVES, who for twenty-seven years has been successfully carrying on general farming and stock raising in Shaws Point township, is a representative of one of Macoupin county's pioneer families. His father, Sampson Groves, was a native of Kentucky, whence he removed to Illinois in 1835, locating in Macoupin county. Here he learned the carpenter's trade and upon attaining his majority, he entered eighty acres of government land. He cleared and cultivated this, at the same time following his trade, and subsequently was able to extend his holdings by the purchase of another eighty acres. He was a most skillful mechanic and many of Carlinville's finest residences and public buildings in the early days were constructed by Mr. Groves, who continued to be actively identified with agricultural pursuits until 1888, when he retired to Carlinville. In 1844 he was united in marriage to Miss Catharine Armstrong, a native of Virginia, with whom he traveled live's journey for fifty-two years. She passed away in Carlinville on the 21st of March, 1896, but he survived until the 26th of August, 1903.
The life record of George Watson Groves began on his father's homestead in Honey Point township on the 15th of February, 1852. There he was reared and early began his training, under the supervision of his father, as an agriculturist and stockman. In the acquirement of his preliminary education he attended the district schools in the vicinity, the course therein pursued being later supplemented by study at Blackburn University. On laying aside his text books he taught in the district schools of the county for four years, and then decided to devote his energies to agricultural pursuits. He rented a farm, the cultivation of which proved so lucrative that at the expiration of a year he was able to buy eighty acres of land in Shaws Point township. He immediately located upon this tract and here he has continuously resides ever since. At the time of the death of his father Mr. Groves purchased from some of the other heirs their interest in the old homestead, one hundred acres of which he now owns. With his purchase he acquired the original sheep skin patent received from the government by his father upon entering the land. He also owns seventy-two acres of land in Brushy Mound township, making the aggregate of his holdings two hundred and fifty-two acres, all in a high state of cultivation and finely improved. Mr. Groves has always met with most excellent success in his vocation and is interested in various enterprises. He is a director and one of the officers of the Gillespie Mutual Insurance co., which duties absorb a large portion of his time, and he is also treasurer of the drainage commission of this district.
Mr. Groves was married on the 6th of February, 1884, to Miss Cora Belle Huddleston, a daughter of Samuel and Sarah A. (Walton) Huddleston, the father native of Kentucky and the mother of Honey Point township, this county. Mr. Huddleston came to Macoupin county in the early period of its history and entered some government land. He cleared and improved this, so successfully devoting his energies to its cultivation, that he was soon able to extend his holdings. He continued to acquire more land from time to time until he owned fourteen hundred acres, all valuable property, that he operated until a few years prior to his demise, when he divided his interests among his children. His death occurred on the 19th of October, 1887, while the mother is living at the age of seventy-five and makes her home in Carlinville. To Mr. and Mrs. Groves have been born three children: Edith A., who is twenty-six, the wife of Jesse T. Groves, a farmer of Honey Point township; Viola Georgian who is twenty-one; and Homer W., who is nineteen years of age.
Mr. and Mrs. Groves affiliate with the Christian Church, in accordance with which faith they reared their family, while fraternally he is identified with the Modern Woodmen of America and the Court of Honor. His political allegiance he awards the republican party. At the present time he is school trustee and has served as school director for sixteen years, while he has also been tax collector of the township. Mr. Groves has ever led an active life and so intelligently concentrated his energies that he has made a success of any enterprise with which he has been identified.