GEORGE LEE, who owns and conducts a livery stable in Bunker Hill, was born in Northampton, England, on the 16th of August, 1870, a son of George and Hannah (King) Lee. The parents were also natives of Northampton from where they emigrated to the United States in 1876, locating in Bunker Hill, where the father passed away. Mr. and Mrs. Lee were the parents of two children, a son and a daughter: Deborah, the wife of W. W. Wood, of Jerseyville; and George, our subject.
As he was only a lad of six years when his parents emigrated to the United States, George Lee obtained his education in the common schools of Bunker Hill. He remained at home until after his marriage, following which eh proceeded to Chicago, where he was employed as driver for about four years in an undertaker's establishment. At the expiration of that time he returned to Bunker Hill and engaged in the livery business with which he has ever since been identified. He owns a fine stable well equipped with good vehicles and furnishings and well kept horses, in addition to which he maintains a garage. His enterprise has proven a success because of the capable and efficient manner in which it is conducted. In addition to his business establishment Mr. Lee owns a pleasant and comfortable residence in Bunker Hill.
In 1896, Mr. Lee was united in marriage to Miss Zella H. Hupp, a native of Macoupin county, of German extraction. To them have been born three children: Buzetta Colesta Nettie, Donald Hupp and George Thornton.
The family attends the Methodist Episcopal church of which the parents are members: fraternally Mr. Lee is affiliated with the Modern Woodmen of America. His ballot he casts in support of the democratic candidates, but he has never been an aspirant to public office, giving his entire attention to the conduct of his business in which he is meeting with such gratifying results.