M. MCMAHON, M.D. - Dr. M. McMahon, discharging his professional duties with a sense of conscientious obligation because of his thorough understanding of the responsibility that devolves upon the physician and surgeon, has won for himself a foremost place in the ranks of the medical fraternity in this part of the county. He has practiced successfully in Palmyra for several years and the public has attested its faith in his skill and ability by giving to him a liberal patronage.
A native of Illinois, he was born near Whitehall, Greene county, on the 17th of October, 1858, a son of John and Margaret (Coffey) McMahon, both natives of Newport, County Tipperary, Ireland. The father came to America in 1849, landing at New Orleans, and he walked from that city to St. Louis, Missouri, where he engaged at railroading for a time. He remained in that city from 1849 until 1857, and in the latter year came to Illinois, locating near Whitehall, Greene county. Here he became identified with the contracting business, in which he continued until his failure, owing to the failure of the Rock Island Railroad in 1858, after which he engaged in farming. IN 1873 he came to Macoupin county and operated a farm near Scottville for a time, also engaging in the stock raising business. He moved to South Palmyra in March, 1875, locating three and one half miles south of town, and he passed away in South Palmyra on the 18th of February, 1888, at the age of sixty-six years. He was married in August, 1857, in St. Louis, Missouri, and after his death his widow continued to make her home within the borders of this county until her demise on the 6th of October, 1909. He was a communicant of the Catholic church and in politics was a stanch democrat.
Dr. M. McMahon acquired his preliminary education in the common schools of Illinois and upon attaining his majority purchased a farm in South Palmyra township, upon which he carried on agricultural pursuits until 1883. Thinking to find a professional life more remunerative and congenial, in that year he took up the study of medicine, entering the old Missouri Medical College, now known as the Washington University at St. Louis, Missouri. He was graduated from that institution with honors on the 5th of March, 1885, winning his M.D. degree, and at once opened an office for practice at Palmyra with Dr. S. D. Carlisle and later with Dr. R. J. Allmond. Palmyra has since remained the field of his activities with the exception of a year and a half spent in Kansas, four years in Irving, Illinois, and three years in Niantic, Illinois. From the first he has been successful, his patronage increasing in volume and importance as he has demonstrated his ability as a physician and surgeon, and he is now an extremely busy and prosperous practitioner, demands being made constantly for his services. He also retains the ownership of his farm, consisting of one hundred and seventy-six acres of land, employing an overseer to take charge of the actual work of the place while he resides in Palmyra.
On the 17th of July, 1881, Dr. McMahon was untied in marriage to Miss Rosa J. Solomon, a daughter of George O. and Sarah (King) Solomon, the former a native of Morgan county and the latter of Macoupin county, Illinois. Both are now deceased, the mother passing away when her daughter was but two years of age, while the father, who was a farmer by occupation, died on May 21, 1882, age fifty-one years. Unto Mr. and Mrs. McMahon were born two children: Curtman, a physician of Lovington, Moultrie county, Illinois, who is married and has one child, Rosa Hope McMahon; and Olivette, who is married to A. C. Compton, of East St. Louis, Illinois.
The religious views of Dr. McMahon are indicated by his membership in the Methodist Episcopal church of Palmyra, while fraternally he belongs to Palmyra Lodge, No. 463, A.F. & A.M., of Palmyra; Palmyra Lodge, No. 348, I.O.O.F.; and the Modern Woodmen Camp, No. 149, of which he is a charter member and also clerk, while of the Masonic lodge he is serving as secretary. In politics he is a republican, serving as collector of taxes of South Palmyra township in 1881. Not only is he numbered among the public-spirited and valued citizens of Macoupin county, but he also occupies a prominent place in medical circles, for he has ever kept abreast of the progress which is continually being carried on in the line of his profession, and by broad study and research is constantly adding to his knowledge and efficiency. He is a member of the Macoupin County Medical Society, the Illinois Medical Society and the American Medical Association.