JAMES W. MORGAN, who for the past year has been conducting a livery stable in Carlinville, was born in Hilyard township, this county, on the 14th of December, 1882, being a son of C. S. and Mary (Boyle) Morgan, the former of whom is a native of Ohio, while the latter's natal state is Illinois. C. S. Morgan came to Macoupin county, Illinois, during the pioneer days, arriving here with a capital of one dollar and a quarter. He had been a cowboy on the plains and immediately sought work here as a farmhand, obtaining a position with William Dye. He remained in his service until his marriage, when he rented one of Mr. Dye's farms, which he cultivated for ten years. The endeavor proved to be so remunerative, that he was then able to buy the old Gulic farm, which was well improved and contained one hundred and eighty acres of land, one-half mile east of Plainview. Success continued to attend his efforts and five years later he was able to purchase the Nelson Snyder farm of one hundred and sixty acres in a high state of cultivation. The farm subsequently became the property of his son, James W. In October, 1910, Mr. Morgan withdrew from active farming and rented his land; however, he still resides upon his homestead. He is now sixty-five years of age, while his wife is sixty-two, both having in their early years thriftily provided for the ease and comfort they are now enjoying.
Until the last year James W. Morgan has always lived in the country, and in his very early youth began the training that later made of him a most successful agriculturist. For his education he is indebted to the district schools in the vicinity of his home. He remained at home with his parents until he had attained his majority, when he located upon one hundred and sixty acres of land, previously purchased. Agricultural pursuits engaged his energies until October, 1910, when he removed to Carlinville and purchased the livery stable of H. W. Pease on West Main street, which he has ever since then been conducting. He keeps a fine line of vehicles and good horses, and as a result has a most excellent patronage.
In April, 1906, Mr. Morgan was untied in marriage to Miss Anna Snyder, a daughter of Nelson and Emily (Armour) Snyder, natives of Madison county, Illinois. During the later years of his life the father engaged in farming, but in the early sixties he bought and sold horses in St. Louis. After the war he removed to Madison county, subsequently coming to Macoupin county, buying a farm in the vicinity of Plainview. He improved and operated this land until his death which occurred in 1901. The mother is still living and makes her home with her daughter and son-in-law, out subject.
The Methodist Episcopal church counts Mr. and Mrs. Morgan among its members, while in matters politic he is a republican. Though an enthusiastic supporter of his party, he is not an office seeker. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Modern Woodmen of America, being identified with the local organizations of both fraternities. He still retains his farm, which is one of the well improved and valuable properties of the vicinity, its rental bringing him in a handsome income. Mr. Morgan's venture into business activities has proven quite successful, giving every promise of developing into a most lucrative enterprise.