WILLIAM LINCOLN MORGAN, a native of South Otter township, who is known as an energetic and progressive farmer, is of English descent and his character for reliability and persistence may be ascribed to traits inherited from a long line of sturdy ancestry. He has never hesitated to push forward in any business undertaking when a favorable opportunity presented and as a result has gained valuable experience, his efforts being abundantly rewarded.
Born April 29, 1864, he is a son of Thomas and Harriet (Walton) Morgan, the former of whom was born in England and the latter in New York state. The grandfather on the maternal side was George Walton, a native of England. Thomas Morgan, the father, emigrated to the United States and came to Macoupin county in 1849, settling on a farm in South Otter township. Here he continued until 1890, when he retired from active labor. He died in 1910. In the family of Mr. and Mrs. Morgan were twelve children, five of whom survive, namely: Mrs. Mary E. Cain, of Oklahoma; Mrs. Florence Lawrence, of Carlinville; Mrs. Minnie Johnson, also of Carlinville; Thomas, Jr., who lives at Reno; and William Lincoln.
Mr. Morgan, of this sketch, attended the common schools of South Otter township and grew to manhood with the laudable desire to make the best use of life and attain an honorable name in the world. At the age of nineteen he began farming with his father, but the year following, having a desire to see the world, he went to Kansas. He returned to South Otter township in 1885 and applied himself to farming for a year, at the end of which time he entered the restaurant business at Jacksonville, Illinois, continuing later in the same line at Galesburg. In 1890 he returned to Macoupin county and ran a store in Shaws Point township until 1896, when he removed to Racine, Wisconsin, and for two years was identified with the restaurant business in that city. He spent the following three years in Rochester and Syracuse, New York, and in 1901 returned to the home farm in South Otter township where he has since remained. He raises the grains adapted to the soil and climate of Macoupin county and also feeds livestock for the market. Under his careful and systematic management both branches of the business are highly profitable.
On the 15th of September, 1891, Mr. Morgan was married in Girard to Miss Lena McMahan, of South Otter township, a daughter of W. H. and Adeline (Curtis) McMahan, the former of whom was born in Green and the latter in Scott county, Illinois. The grandfathers of Mrs. Morgan were Henry McMahan, of Illinois, and James Curtis, who was a native of Virginia. To this union of Mr. and Mrs. Morgan three children have been born: Curtis, William C., and Helen.
Fraternally, Mr. Morgan is identified with Peach Tree Lodge, No. 633, M.W.A.; politically, he votes in support of the principles and candidates of the republican party. He takes a lively interest in affairs of the neighborhood and is a good friend of education, having served faithfully for eleven years as a member of the school board. Although now living on the farm where he was born, he has had an extensive acquaintance with the world and has possessed unusual opportunities for the study of human nature. Always wide-awake, intelligent and willing to learn, he has made practical application of his knowledge and is, therefore, one of the highly respected men of the township.