HISTORY
OF
MENARD & MASON COUNTIES, ILLINOIS
1879

Chicago: O.L. Baskin & Co., Historical Publishers
186 Dearborn Street
Chicago

Page 691

CAIN & PARKS, editors of the Observer, Petersburg. The Petersburg Observer was established at Tallula, Menard Co., Ill., by George W. Cain, one of its present proprietors, in August, 1876, and was there edited and published until May, of 1878, when it was removed to Petersburg, and W. R. Parks became a partner; the new firm then bought the Menard County Times, a Republican paper, and abandoned its publication, re-establishing the Observer; and, on May 18, 1878, the first number of the Observer was issued at Petersburg. The Observer is a four-page, eight-column paper, embracing the current new of the day, and largely devoted to the county and local affairs; politically it is, and always has been uncompromisingly Greenback, advocating in a fair, honest and vigorous manner the principles of the Greenback party, and is the acknowledged organ of that party in Menard and surrounding counties. Cain & Parks are stirring business men, with firm political and business views.


1879 Index

MAGA © 2000, 2001, 2002. In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the Internet, data and images may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or for other presentation without express permission by the contributor(s).