JUDGE BREESE JOHNSON, attorney, Petersburg; son of Philip and Mary Johnson, is a native of Frederick Co., Va., where he was raised and educated. After obtaining a good education, he began teaching school and reading medicine. A year and a half later, he was persuaded by his brother to abandon medicine, and take up the study of law with him, and, after studying under his brother, W.R., he began under Gen. Brisco G. Baldwin, of Stanton, Va. His desire to become an able attorney caused him to apply himself diligently, and he became a well-read lawyer, and was admitted to the bar in 1835. He took up the practice of law in his native county, and soon won a good reputation. Mr. Johnson came to Menard Co. in 1861, and bought land, upon which he resided for a time. He came and located in Petersburg in 1870, since which time he has given his attention to the practice of law.