JUDGE J. H. PILLSBURY, retired, Petersburg; son of Alpha and Margaret (Caverno) Pillsbury; was born in Stafford Co., N. H., Aug. 3, 1830. His father died in 1831, leaving a wife and two sons. In 1836, they emigrated to Menard Co., Ill., bought land and began to prepare a home. At this time, it was a wild and desolate country, and none but those possessed with a firm will and determination, coupled with industry, could live the life he has lived. Few can look back over their past life with more satisfaction than he, as to-day he enjoys the honor and respect of all who know him. During his early life, he received a good education at Jacksonville College. He settled in the town of Petersburg in 1854, and read law under the instruction of Hon. T. L. Harris; after which he taught school for a time, and in the fall of 1855 was elected School Commissioner, serving six years. In 1856, he was admitted to the bar, and in 1857, elected Police Magistrate, and appointed Master in Chancery, serving in the latter office eight years. In the fall of 1861, he was elected County Judge of Menard Co. and re-elected in 1873. His brother died in January of 1852; his mother survived until April 3, 1868. The Judge married Miss Susan M. Gardner Jan. 3, 1861; she is a daughter of Hiram K. Gardner, a prominent pioneer of Sangamon Co. They have two children living - Joseph B. and Susan H.