WILLIAM A. STONE, farmer and stock-raiser, Sec. 13; P.O. Greenview; was born in Botetourt Co., Va., Oct. 20, 1809. His parents came to Kentucky in an early day, where they resided until their removal to Irish Grove, Menard Co., Ill., in 1830. His father, Moses Stone, was a native of Bedford Co., Va., as well as his mother, whose maiden name was Nancy Whittin. At the time of their coming to Illinois, they had but little of this world's goods, and a family of twelve children depending on them. The year following their coming, both parents died. Thus, in a new and unsettled country, twelve children were left to the care of Providence and the few neighbors in that vicinity. The subject of this sketch being one of the older members of the family, the greater part of the responsibility of caring for the orphaned children fell on him. He, with the assistance of the neighbors, cared for them until they were able to do for themselves. He is now the oldest living representative of the family, seven of the children being dead. Mr. Stone was a soldier in the Black Hawk war, and also a soldier in the Mexican war. He was intimately acquainted with Abraham Lincoln, who was a frequent visitor at his house. Mr. Stone, for a number of years, commanded a company of State Militia, and is still called "Capt. Stone." He married Martha J. Patterson April 3, 1833, who was a native of Adair Co., Ky., and came, with her parents, to Irish Grove at an early day. They had nine children, eight of whom are now living - Caleb T., James P., Lucella K., Margaret C., John L., Claudius L., William L. and Bertha A.; deceased was Martha E. Mrs. Stone departed this life Sept. 24, 1874. In early life, Mr. Stone and his wife connected themselves with the Presbyterian Church. Few men have done so much for the cause of religion. Although not an educated man, he has taken great care to educate his children well, sending them to the best colleges and seminaries in the country. He always has been a sound Republican ever since the party was organized. At present, Mr. Stone owns 250 acres of improved land, which he has made by close attention to business. He has given his children upward of $18,000, and has always been ready to give his support to anything that he believed would be of general benefit. He has held a number of positions of profit and trust, and acquitted himself with honor.