Transcribed by: Ellen Booth.Page 342
The Methodists were the pioneer organizations of the village. Their house of worship, erected in 1825, is still standing, though, from outward appearances, it is rather the worse for wear. The original organization was effected by Rev. Asabel E. Phelps, with seventy members. It has always held a leading position in the religious element of the village. Rev. J. W. Eckman is now completing his second year as pastor. The Christian Church was built in 1851, and is the only brick church building in the town. The congregation has never been large, and has prospered indifferently well. Among the early ministers were Elders Robert Foster and John A. Powell. The Church is at present without a regular Pastor, though Elder Claiborne Hall often officiates in that capacity. The Free Methodists have recently erected a neat frame building, and the congregation connected therewith, though small, is in a flourishing condition. A Sunday school is held in connection with each of the churches.
The first public school kept in the village was, probably, presided over by Rev. Carman Clark, though some are inclined to award that honor to a Mrs. Rowe. It was taught in a diminutive farm house which formerly stood on the site of Charles Salzensteinís store. A large frame school building was erected southeast of the present edifice, and served the double purpose of schoolhouse and church for a number of years. In 1873, a substantial and commodious brick building was constructed, at a cost of $7.000, which is an ornament to the village and source of just pride to her citizens. James Steel was the first Principal, and Prof. Nye at present holds the reins of government. Among her early physicians were Drs. Winn, Abbott, Lee and Eatey. Of these, all but one are long since gone. Dr. Lee is yet in the precinct, and resides on his farm near Indian Creek. The medical fraternity is at present represented by Drs. T. J. Primm, E.D.Thomas and William F. Roberts. Each enjoys a reputation for skillfulness and proficiency in his profession.
Floral Lodge, I.O.O.F., No. 647, was organized under dispensation, November 16, 1877. A charter was issued from the Grand Lodge, bearing the signatures of John Lake, G.M., and N.C. Wason, G. S., in October 1878. The charter members were C.C. Scott, T.B. Turner, Jacob Boyd, Louis Salzenstein, Charles Bair, W. C. Fisk and Julius Kerst. The first officers were; C.C. Scott, N.G.; T.B. Turner, V.G.; Jacob Boyd, Secretary, and Louis Salzenstein, Treasurer. The regular meetings of the Lodge are held on Friday evening of each week, in a room in the school building. A new hall, 26x60, will soon be erected. Present officers are: Jacob Boyd, N.G.; John Ekberry, V.G.; Henry Heilhower, Secretary, and Louis Salzenstein, Treasurer. The present membership of the Lodge is twenty-five.